Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I had a get away weekend in the mountains of northern PA. We followed the Susky most of the way and then Pine Creek to the inn we stayed at. Thought I would give yu'all a first hand report of the water conditions up north. First the good news, most of the snow pack is gone except above 2000'. The bad news is that all the creeks and streams are over their banks. The Susky is way up with most of the islands under water. I talked to some locals up there and they felt that in about a week, without any heavy rain, things should settle down.

I'm no hydrologist, but I'm thinking it will be several weeks yet till the flats settle down. I hope I'm wrong, but there is still a lot of water heading south from 200 miles north.:confused:

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the report. Hopefully it won't rain for a little while and we get a slight warming trend.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
the fish we'll be there in a few weeks, better to wait for better conditions

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I got jumped on last month because I said we won't have good fishing till mid-April. Unfortunatley I was right.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
the fish we'll be there in a few weeks, better to wait for better conditions
John it wouldn't surprise me if the fish weren't there now. The shore bound guys are already C&Ring 40"ers at Matapeake and Sandy Point.

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,749 Posts
<A href="mailto:capttomhughesatt.net?subject=Questions on the New 20" Catamaran">Downsizing or Looking for aQuality 20' Catamaran, Single Engine, They're Now on the Market
Wood Free and Supply a Smooth, Dry Ride (no more pounding)
Capt. Tom Hughes - Light Tackle & Fly Fishing the Susquehanna Flats<A href="http://www.capttomhughes.com/Seminars/2007/2007_Scheduled_Seminars.htm">4/8/07-2PM Bass Pro Shop

There are ways to overcome dirty water&#8230;it's called fish smarter and harder&#8230;try different lures and techniques&#8230;and keep on casting!​

Capt. Tom Hughes
Full Time Light Tackle & Fly Fishing Guide
<A href="http://www.capttomhughes.com/Trip_Information/Susquehanna_Flats_Guided_Trip_Package.htm">Booking Trips on the Susquehanna Flats

·
Registered
954 Posts
I live in the Poconos and the creeks are'nt over their banks here. Matter of fact they really have'nt risen much compaired to previous winters. I have been up here for 7 years now and this spring melt off is very similar to 2002. Which was a banner year for me on the flats. Water in the Delaware is clearing now. The susky is about 45 minutes west of where I live. They had less snow last week than we did so I gotta think its clearing over there as well. I would say the flats are down for this week but will recover next week if the rain stays away. I have to make a trip to scranton tomorrow. I will get a look at the river and post tomorrow.

Tight lines, FH

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Every year is different; I think it's what keeps us coming back - the adventure is the thing.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I figure I'll give you guys a head start before I catch the rest. I've spent too many seasons in that mud. I think maybe a trip to Wachapreague or Oc. will keep me from missing the mud flow.:yinyang:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts