Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Oh well, I've been trying to time the Flats since I moved to MD. Between the flows, water clarity, water temps and the rock being just plain picky it's tough and near impossible. But, when ya hit it on an "on" day there is nothing like it. Thats why we keep going back. Went out 2 years ago on my birthday, on the flats before light and heard a ton of spashing, I thought it was my day. Turned out to be spawning carp.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Thanks for the report. So how bad was the water clarity? As for spawning carp and splashing. I've seen that too. Or at least I thought that's what I was seeing. I wrote the swirls and splashes off to carp and just kept silently moving along with a trolling motor. Eventually I took a cast on that perfect morning before the sun was up. Sure enough, all those splashes were big stripers. My boat just drifting towards the skinniest of water would spook huge fish holding up in the grass and my 3 oz pencil popper found the fish. They are not always carp but sometimes they are. Usually carp like to be in moving water for their spawn. Like much further up the river. But not always I guess. Never assume anything. Plus if you see just one or two birds working the water, and definitely if you see any of them with fish in their mouths, you should be fishing. I saw some birds fighting over a white perch once. Sure enough the whole area was covered up with good size schoolie fish and every now and then one would break that 30 inch mark. This was under birds, on the flats. Skinny water near Battery. Of course that wasn't this year. the river is coming down, it should be clearing. Now is the time. In the next week or so I'd expect that place to break wide open. it has to happen sometime. Plus I doubt the flats will close on May 3rd because of water temperature. It's not much over 50 now.

·
1,672 Posts
My son & I went out about 8. Had to wait for some water to come up the ramp. It was Low on our side..
Water was stained, couple inches vis.
We worked the incoming on the S end between Sandy and Turkey Points, both sides,
We got 7..........Catfish, some of the biggest we ever caught, but not what we were looking for.
We had Fresh from Herbs and BW's.

We tucked in Behind T Point at the end just to get out of the wind for a bit.

Water was 50.1 to 51.9
East Wind 10+

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Sounds like its clearing up, all the way to 2 inches, it was less than an inch on Tuesday. I was up on the Octo shad fishing and the main river still looked real bad. Looked like they were running about 5 gates.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
I used to remeber when I first joined TFish....I think it was cisco651 had a countdown timer to flats season beginning....some great photos came from that place..

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be a little more descriptive Like others said visibility around 2-4" at best. Water temps have dropped 5-6F since last week, to around 51F. Probably my shortest outing ever. If I was on the water a half hour it was a long time. Maybe (a big maybe) if we would have beat the hell of it we could have done something but I highly doubt it. I don't fish bait either.

Pretty depressing really. Look forward to flats season every year. The only time I keep the boat in the water. Makes fishing soooo easy. Can't think of anything better fishing the bay then having a 40"+ striper hit a popper in 3' of water. Hoping by the end of next week things will change but who knows. But it is the flats, it can turn on like a light switch. A couple nice days of no heavy rain and nice weather and who knows what could happen.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Andy, It could have been worse...you could have been helping me move 40 yards of mulch today :D

I'm looking forward to some flatties
I don't know. At least I would have felt like I accomplished something.

Yeah, flatties looking better and better all the time. Getting psyched for Chinco especially after now.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
All in time. I too have my fingers crossed for next week.
As for the spawning carp, i got some amazing pics of them, so there was no guessing as to what they were after the sun came up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts