Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was out this morning checking on conditions on the flats and ran into this fellow below. He and a bunch of his friends were out there fishing. It was just at sunrise and the temperature was around 12 degrees or so. They were pretty closed mouthed and didn't appear to want to discuss their catch too much. As a matter of fact, the whole bunch seemed a little "flighty" and all but this guy left shortly after I arrived. I suspect that they weren't doing too well with the exception of maybe a permit or two. At least I didn't see any evidence of any fish, but then maybe the reason they left was to keep their success a secret.

If I could find a good HO with an ice auger or chainsaw, we might do some LTJ this weekend, but I think it would be a little too much to suggest topwater! HMM, wonder if I could con the "Mystery Fisherman" to HO again?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,298 Posts
Now that's a treat ........ seeing bald eagles up close ....... good pictures!

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
250 Posts
Good trip! I've been inspired, I'll see if I can get my pop to add one of these to his hand carved waterfowl collection...
Just wondering...when does it get cold up here on the flats??
Bobby

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
If somebody was fishing my money would be on Mike Benjamin (SP?)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I hear ya Ted - on the way down to the CBBT this past winter (well, it was December but today feels a lot more like winter), I saw two of them eating some road kill on the shoulder of 13. Drove past them about 10 feet away at 65. Took the special-factor out of seeing them for the foreseeable future, at least for me.

Still a magnificant animal.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Very cool. Mid-Dec at Conowingo (when the shad babies were coming thru) was amazing. Literally over 100 baldies (and as many photographers). Many roosting right above the parking lot. Quite a few walleyes and schoolie rock around as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Bald Eagle is an awesome looking bird, but it has some unfortunate dining habits. When I moved to my present house in 1999 there was a dead skunk in the road nearby. Wasn't to long after I saw it that it disappeared off the road and was out in the field being dined on by a Bald Eagle. Maybe Ben Franklin was right. I've never seen a Turkey eat a dead Skunk!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
During the summer, you can see a lot bald eagles along the Potomac from Mathias Pt. down to Nomini Bay. Magnificent animals to watch and awesome fishermen!!!! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dont try to launch at conowingo -its frozen !!!!.We launched above the hot water release and had to chop our way down river the whole time -the ice was about 1 in thick.caught 1 small hybrid (20 in) and released.
going back up the river thru the ice was a little scary :eek: its getting thick !!!! I would only do this in my beater boat ( 17 ft johnboat w/ 25 merc) --wont be trying that again for a while !!!!! I have a video from my cell phone . I will try to put it on --its pretty funny:cool:

·
Registered
855 Posts
I don't think those fisherman will be swapping out their treble hooks...:D

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It's too darn cold for t he "Mystery Fisherman" to go out this week-end.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Great picture. Pretty neat to watch them. When I fished the keni river there were bald eagles everywhere.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I read the title of the post and got all excited. Yeah, call me gullible. I'm just ready for the river to thaw so I can put the boat back in the water and test out the toys I got for Christmas! Those guys down in NC and south have it made. Fishing year round.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I was over on Fairlee Creek a couple of weeks ago. One took off from a tree not far from where I was standing, flew up the creek and landed on the ice near where a flock of Canada geese were sitting. They didn't seem to pay much attention. Then he took off and flew directly over the flock, and they scattered like chickens. He (she?) didn't pay too much attention to them. Looked like he just did it for the hecuvit.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fishon: they don't seem too concerned about swapping out hooks. after all, they are using the original eagle claw barbless ones!

Mytime: sorry for the false advertisement, but I figured it woud be a good laugh! What else ya gonna do, can't go fishing and I'm tired of tying lures.

I work on APG, last fall there were at least half a dozen juveniles scavenging on a deer carcass out near the airfield. The buzzards would move off a little, but really weren't too concerned about them-probably because they were juveniles and not adults.

Two or three years ago, there was some ice and I counted 14 eagles in about a half mile of shoreline trees. One was sitting in a small tree right on the shoulder of the road no more than 15 feet from the car. There was an adult that had either caught or scavenged a mud shad and was sitting in a tree eating it. There was a juvenile sitting on the same limb about three feet away either begging or trying to steal a bite or two. It was actually pretty commical like it was saying, "Can I have just one little bite-or maybe two?"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts