Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Next time Chark! Do you have a thermometer with you? Best tool I've found to make sure you are not wasting your time. If you're paddling along and the water's getting colder, leave a spoon out and keep looking for warmer water. Don't waste time jigging in colder water. Look at what the wind and tide has been doing... if it was a warm/sunny day, some warm water can get blown by the wind. If it was cold or cloudy, especially on an outgoing tide, check out the river mouths.

What were you using?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Threw white BA/Chart BA/big Rapala

Need FF, next on the list definitely. 3 hrs to fish the flats in a yak is not enough unless the fish are north.

Hit the BB on the opener and got 5 shorties on bloodworms and one huge knockdown on a 15ft deep rapala but grabbed the rod too quick, I should have hit a hard 3 strokes to set the hook first, had it on for about 5 secs...long enough to turn the boat.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I hear ya... installed my FF in my yak today, instead of hitting the flats. About to head out to fish some local ponds instead, as I want to let everything cure real well before using.

I've had my best luck by far on the flats this year on spoons... crippled alewives and tony acettas. Sometimes hard to impart the proper action to the soft plastics when you are forced to keep your rod up, especially in the wind (where I want to jerk it downward).

Also had better luck on the soft plastics after I switched from mono to braid (with mono leader). Sensitivity was greatly improved so I could maintain contact with bottom without thumping it.

I backed off on the drag after switching to braid, and have not had a breakoff yet except for one, which I believe was based on a bad knot at the leader.

Josh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts