Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The last few days:
12" visibility if that.
Clearer (but not by much) further south
53-54 degrees and holding the last 4 days. Colder this week then it was last weekend.
Wind keeps things stirred up.
No sunlight penetration = lack of grass. Lack of grass= no cover to hold prey. No prey= no predators. JMHO.

Are there fish there? If so, I have not seen them.
The days of dozens and dozens of boats fishing this C+R season, are long gone.
But then again, one positive report could change things albeit short lived.
May 3rd is closing in fast.

Good luck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Fished Flats yesterday. We caught one fish ------40+inch striper --on cut bait. Saw one other boat working Flats. Too far away to see if they had success.
Windy , water very stained, temp 52-54 .
There is a weekend Bass Tournament this weekend plus a Boat Show at Anchor Marine so it will be crowded at the ramps.

To make matters worse, I didn't catch this fish. My fishing partner was the lucky angler.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My buddy Mike & I fished all over the flats today from 7:30 to 2:30 in water 2' - 20'. We tossed various soft plastics, crank baits, jerk baits & top water lures without a single bite, nibble or swirl. Visibility is not good but getting better 2" - 18" depending on location. I would say 6" - 8" on average. Water temps were 49* - 55* with winds 8 - 12. It was a great day to be on the water but I am very sorry to say that the striper fishing on the flats really sucks this year. We ran into a few regulars while on the water and I talked with a few others on the cell phone. Results were all the same. Nobody is catching much of anything, anywhere on the flats.

I've only been fishing the flats since 2008 but this is by far the worst year I've seen for catching. Seems like every year things just continue to get worse.... Best of luck to you if you do make it out :fishing2:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
No man, go for it if the weather's right....I'm hoping to be out there myself. Like 240 LTS said: "It only takes one good day"....just might be Sunday :thumbup:

Congrats to FishStu on your big fish.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Fished the flats today. Morning out going. Went for the ditches. One 25" on spoon. worked it hard there for a while. Marked very little life anywhere from there to turkey. Eventually ran up NE river. Snagged a 10" on big stick at carp pt. marked 60 degrees but stained at rocky pt. Maybe it was too nice out. Not many boats so that wasn't a factor. Rain day maybe the ticket who knows. Scratching my head right now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Boat is just about ready to go and was wondering if it is worth rushing to get it ready for the weekend? Good luck to all.
I started fishing 4/3. Nothing but cold muddy water. Fished Friday 4/10. Nothing but saw fish as I ran around. No takers.
Fished Saturday the 18th caught 11. they were from 14" up to 28". Most were on artificial some on blood worms. It looked like it was going to pick up. Front rolled in and Wam! Nothing. Fished in muddy cold water from Thursday the 23rd to Saturday the 25th. Finally caught 3 fish on Saturday from 14" to 39". Not great. Had to go to blood worms again due to muddy muddy water. First year I had to resort to meat. Nothing against it. I just like to throw artificials.
The water looks to be clearing up based on the NOAA buoy data. Was thinking of trying this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning. Depending on work. Definitely not a great year for me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've almost completely given up on flats. Getting skunked is now the norm out there. I don't even remember last time I had over 10 fish in a given day. 100 fish days on artificials were not uncommon out there 15 years ago. Keep killing the big breeders and it will get worse. History is repeating itself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts