Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me when the Flounder Show up at the Mouth of the Potomac area...
In the Lewisetta Smith point area ???

Thinking of taking a trip

Thanks

Jay:rockon:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think late April to mid-May around PLO. Mushy is the man who really knows though. :yes:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence Mark, but I'm learning just like everyone else. I plan to start in mid May. We did real well on May 29th last year at Point Lookout. Jay, if your in the area of Lewisetta, give me a shout on the radio. Ch 68

Mushy
"Getsome"

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome Guys

Hey Thanks all,
I will surely give a call, I got pretty good at catchem them but was never sure when they would show down that way...

Thanks again

Jay

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have had some, but limited, success in this area. Will appreciate all the tips I can get. I will be living on the Coan River starting about mid-May and ready to fish everyday. Hope I can pass on some tips as well. There is a steep drop off just east of the PLO bar leading out to the radar reflector. Have had some success drifting there on an outgoing tide in July.

·
Registered
41 Posts
PLO

Hey Coan,
I am new to fishing in this area as well and would appreciate any help with all types but especially the flounder. Where is or what is PLO? Also what are some of your favorite methods to catch them? Thanks!:fishing2:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Kahuna, PLO is Point Look Out. I drift a standard flounder rig baited with live minnow and a large strip of cut fish belly or squid. You need whatever weight is required to keep it on the bottom. A dropper of 10-12" to the weight is preferred.

You can get good advice and all necessary tackle at RW's in Callao.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
PLO

PLO is Point Lookout, it's the southern tip of st. mary's county. You can either launch at the state park, or Buzz's marina. Buzz's is on St. Jerome's creek just before the park. The owners are nice as can be and will tell you where the fish are. Last year, I did very well by picking up a couple of dozen minnows from the Tackle Box in Lexington park on the way down. The best rigs were these little spreader bars made of plastic with a hook off each end and what looked like a plastic piece of corn above the hook. When the flounder hit, we released the bail and fed him for a five count, reel up slack, hit them so hard you cross their eyes. We did not get any hits on spinner rigs.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'll second R.W.'s for advice and a great selection of tackle. If you are coming from the Va. side fo the river, Lewisetta Marina is almost straight across the river from PLO. Short, quick run from there. :yes:

·
Registered
41 Posts
:fishing2: Thanks for the come back fellas. I can't believe I didn't pick up on Point Look Out. I guess I thought it was something close to the Coan River or Lewisetta when I first read. I am definitely getting too much cabin fever and it is time to get out on the water. The sooner the better. I really look forward to doing some flounder fishing over at PLO. I have some rigs that may be dry rotted by now but they are from the 60's and look like a coat hanger with a drop off each end and and center drop for a weight. I have used them in the past with some good luck but I don't know how many more live they have. All the rigs I have seen here lately were similar to a bottom fishing rig and seemed to me the coat hanger set up would be better, but who knows? I'll be coming out of Sandy Point Marina on the :fishing2: Yeocomico.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That's the rig Kahuna

That is almost exactly the rig that we did so well on last year, if you or anybody else finds a source, send me a PM 'cause I cant find them anymore.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I think they were called a 'Spreader Rig'. I never used any of them even though someone gave me one a long time ago. My thinking is that less metal is better. I tie my own high/low flounder rigs with colored beads and spinners just in front of the hooks, but no other metal. The top hook has a drop of 18" from the main leader and the bottom hook has a drop of 3 - 4 feet. That rig tends to keep the top hook up above the bottom a little and lets the bottom hook run on or very near the bottom. I get about three or four flounder on the bottom hook to every one on the top hook. On the other hand I pick up more croakers, trout, and blues on the top hook. Don't laugh, slices of fresh blues or croakers make a dandy cut bait for flounder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts