Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Fletchers today, 3-27-07, 11:00am-2:30pm. First shad trip of the year. Very slow fishing but I did catch 6 hickory bucks, 2 smallish, 3 fairly nice. I was spin fishing from shore today. Got skunked at several of my usual spots and all 6 hickories came from one location between noon and 1:00pm. Strong flow but a little murky, water vis maybe 12"-14". Saw many wperch caught by others from shore. Lots of smalls, no jumbos, but several in the 9"-9.5" range on night crawlers. Not sure if Fletchers is renting yet, but there was one Fletchers boat out and guys were rebuilding the pier.

Partly cloudy to hazy bright with a stiff downriver breeze at times. USGS says the flow was 5.5' @ 55F. Low tide was ~11:00am. Some herring activity in the shallows but not much.

Shad hit silver spoons or 1.5" limetruce twistertails. Only bumped into one other serious shadder and he had caught a few too. All-in-all slow fishing, but its started.

I'm quite optimistic about the shad run this spring. Flows are way higher than this time last year which should pull shad way upriver in high numbers (knock on wood).

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
DARN ITITITITITITITITITI!! I thought I was going to be the first. I was sure the river would be fishable. Most people think it's too high above 5' but it's probably almost perfect because it's coming down FAST.

Thanks so much for the report. But it's only making my last few minutes at the office even more difficult. Especially since I need to be here until 7.:eek:

If I leave from Rockville at 6:30, how much fishing time will I have before dark? How bad will the wife yell at me? Who knows but I'm going to find out. After all, I really had to work late today.:D

Edit: Okay, reality check just set in. I should finish some work and go home and have dinner with my son. My life last year around this time was a whole lot different.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Yes, Fletchers and Dicks in Gaithersburg both have DC licenses.

Part of me now wants this post to die because people from the Ches. Board could read it and the place will look like a zoo this weekend. It probaby will already but oh well. I can handle a few ethical fly fishermen and I know I'm going to have to put up with everyone else too. Plus this time of year I get to put faces to names quite often.

Let the assult begin.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yes, Fletchers and Dicks in Gaithersburg both have DC licenses.

Part of me now wants this post to die because people from the Ches. Board could read it and the place will look like a zoo this weekend.

Let the assult begin.
Elitist ... ;-)

Guess I'll have to crawl through the culvert this weekend and see what I can find ...

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Returned to Fletchers again today (Wed, 3-28). Caught 13 hickory. Caught'um onesies & twosies here and there, no concentrations yet. Water a little clearer today at ~14"-16". Lots of people catching wperch on worm, some pushing 10", many females. I brought home 7 nice wperch.

I use to be concerned about posting fishing reports for Fletchers. But not so much now. During the past few years while at Fletchers I frequently stop and talk to shad fishermen. Today I saw only 3 shadders there and none of them had ever heard of TidalFish. And two of them I'm not sure even knew what an "Internet message board" was... and one of these was using a fly rod. I bet the vast majority of the fishermen at Fletchers have never heard of TF, maybe 95% or higher.

Like Salmo say, Dick's in Gaithersburg got their DC licenses last week. I think I called them weekly, 3-4 times, before they finally got them.

Fletchers might be a hopping place this weekend if this chilly spell doesn't put a damper on the runs. Think I'll wait until next week to try again. Only one Fletchers boat out again today. Looked like the same guy as yesterday.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
March 28th, 2007 7-8pm. VERY GOOD!

I fished fletchers yesterday afternoon for an hour 7pm-8pm and managed to catch 7 or 8 hickories from shore with the fly rod. An even mix between male and female, all around 17-19 inches. Orange was best color. The Potomac was up around 5.25 feet, high tide was 5:30pm and the surface temp at little falls was 14 degrees Celsius (57.2F). The water clarity was about 1 foot. I thought it would be too muddy but I guess not. Air temp was low 60’s. Also caught a few white perch, aka “Cherp”. I had room to back cast because I positioned myself just upstream of a side channel.

There was one other fletchers boat out and one other pontoon boat out. The fletchers guy was chunking large herring chunks and I didn’t see him hook up and the pontoon guy was banging shad left and right in the middle seem.

I heard of good reports from Deer Creek starting two days ago, the exact same day I heard fletchers was hot.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stopped in Dickerson briefly today (Thur.) to see whats biting. What a big waste of time THAT was. Handful of very dink LMBass & sunfish, that was it. Didn't get up to the WWD, just fished near the parking lot.

Surprisingly, the water clarity at Dickerson was no better than what I encountered at Fletchers on Tues & Wed. So its going to take a while for water clarity to get nice at Fletchers. Don't know why its taking so long to clear. When flow is as strong as it is, it doesn't usually take this long to clear.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Many of the large reservoirs out in western MD & WV (like Jennings Randoph & Savage) that feed the Potomac have been dumping water bigtime for a couple of weeks. But I see from the flow graphs that most of them cut flow way back on Wednesday. Gauges at Paw-Paw & Hancock are just now showing a sudden, though small, dip in flow. Might take a few days for this drop in flow to show up at Fletchers, if at all. So things might improve at Fletchers in a day or two. We shall see.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Guy,

I know, its a tough life for a fly fisherman out there in colorado! It must be a difficult life ;) But seriously, im thinking of moving out your way after grad school and no matter how good the trout fishing is I will indoubtedly miss our smallmouth and anadromous critters! Life, she is full of compromises.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fished Dam4 near Hagerstown Friday morning (another skunking). Dam4 has been kicking my butt the past 3 weeks... and it was so good last fall up to mid January. Water clarity looked pretty good there too, maybe 3'-4'. So clear water is on its way to Fletchers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts