Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's from Saturday so... sorry it's late.
Carlos and I got there bright and early. Caught the heck out of them... and went home. :thumbup:

I was using 250. Carlos had 250 and some orvis DC. The dc line did GREAT later on in the day. It certainly kept the line down better on the drift in the current.
Flies were little puff heads with marabou tails and all marabou streamers. Colors... red/white/silver, chart/flo yellow, and pink.

I couldn't get over the size of some of the hickory shad. Straight up monsters!!

and... carlos being carlos.. got the only american of the day.

Anchored right on the seam... easy as 1-2-3. I love these little buggers. Carlos is working hard on a new style of shad fishing. Maybe he can tell you guys about it if he is able to read the post... :clapping2:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I can't wait to hear about this new style of shad fishing. Somebody please read this post to Carlos...

David

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well it's called pi$$ and fish. Basically, you drink lots of coffee chased with about a gallon of water and let your bladder do the rest. While standing on the bow of the boat(must be the bow not the stern) you set off your own stream into the river and hold your flyrod in your free hand. Soon enbough.... BOOYAH!!! fish on!!!!!:clapping2: Land the fish and all is well:D

Be careful of course when repackaging since you may fall into teh water as I did:eek2:

Tony has a picture somewhere. Always an adventure Tony. As always I had a blast bro!:thumbup:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Awesome, glad to hear you guys tore 'em up!!!!
Dude, you fell in!?!?!?!?!
Sorry, but I can't stop laughing. (Made my day bro)
Tony, please, don't hold those pics back.

Later, Harry

·
Registered
210 Posts
Harry:

Tony will tell you.... He was catching fish like mad and I was having a tough time early on so when I was doing my business I thought he was messing with me by tugging on the flyline so that I would think I had a fish on. But it was in fact a fish. And I really did lose my footing on the boat and almost went in! :boat:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dang, I thought we were gonna see a pic or two of a wet hurricane swimming to the boat!:D Still has me chuckling all day, I can just see it, "ahhhhhhh, huh, what the?, doh!":clap: You just can't make up scenarios like that, they just have to happen. Glad to hear you fellas had a good day on the water also.
Later, Harry

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
:rockingreport:

Thanks Tony! Wish this weather did not roll in, I was going to go Friday, but OMC dropped me a line and suggested I do something else given this front.

Thanks for the report, looks like a blast man!

Brandon

·
Registered
717 Posts
I’m afraid the cold front is already causing some lockjaw @ Fletcher’s. In about 90 minutes yesterday (Wed.) I caught just 5 fish (one Amercan though :thumbup: ) from shore, and the boats were not doing any better…not a lot of catching going on for anybody.

Might be time to put it away for a week and come back when things are warming up a bit.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at the website, it doesn't look like the river is that bad. I may go again on friday morning.

Harry.... you'll notice in the one pic I'm in the front...then carlos is in the front in the next picture.
So, I'm fishing right. I'm watching my buddy cast and thinkin...wow that's kinda close.. THWAPPP.... direct hit, you sunk my battleship...right between my shoulder blades. I call him a retard, slide my glasses over my face, deploy hood for cover, and pray. 5 mintues later I notice that Carlos is using a size 6 pink and chart marabou fly. It had silver tinsel wrappings with hot pink thread...the hook was a 3x long with a down turned eye.. I noticed all this because it was approximately .003 cm from my right eye. "Hey, let's switch seats!!!"
We move after a while and start fishing again. Captain IGottaPee makes a cast. He then hops up on the seat and starts yankin on himself. I'm thinkin... this isn't going to end well. Why would he cast first. I'm facing the other way trying to catch a shad. He keeps turning around looking at me. I know Carlos has.... tendencies... but I can normally overlook such things. He says something like "Cut it out". I look and his rod is doubled.... "You have a fish dingleberry." He starts tucking himself in and lost his balance... Don't know how he saved himself... but he did. He even landed the fish. All this with no less than 3 other boats, 2 kayakers, and probably oh... 30 people on shore...
Combine this story with other events of the day... There's the "anchors are heavy" lesson. Fletchers uses these big rocks as anchors. You shouldn't drop them on your feet... right buddy? Then the final twist in the day was when I found out that someone didn't clamp the trolling motor on to the transom very tight.... :boat: :watchout6: As we are going with the current, I try to nudge the rowboat around a rock that is the size of a Volkswagen... rowboat turns into airboat as the trolling water tries to go into shallow orbit around the Earth. I'm holding on to the tiller trying to trun the dang thing off as it is trying to become the newest snag on the potomac...while we thud off the boulder... all the time the cackling is getting louder and louder...
This is an average day fishing with my friend Carlos. Wouldn't trade it for all the money on the world...

Note bend in fly rod.. note people on shore... note other boats...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Good stuff man!!! Total dedication to fishing. Not stopping for relief, just combine the two.
Two rods in hand = better action on fly = fish on!!!
One day a book will be written titled "Adventures, Calamities, and Good Times with Hurricane Carlos" A story told by the only one who survived.:D
I love the secondary bildge pump shot.
Hurricane, do you always take your hat off to pee?:yes:
Later, Harry

·
Registered
210 Posts
Tony I forgot about hte motor and the rock!:clapping2: Man we do have a ton ' laughs bro!!! Harry I wish you could have been there, it's rediculous stuff! I'm not sure what I did with my hat:wacko:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Looks like has had a lot of practice gripping his rod.

Tony, it ain't about the water quality, which should stay good for the next couple of days (no precip in the forecast)...it's gonna be about the water temps...look what's happening already, and temps tonight are supposed to be in the high 20s

Okay, Ican't uplaod the ##$%%&@! graph, but here's the linkl ook @ water temps:

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 01646500 POTOMAC RIVER NEAR WASH, DC LITTLE FALLS PUMP STA

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I was fishing just down stream from the peeing fishermen on Saturday morning. The fishing was pretty good and we later drifted all the way down to the end of the cove in ~20 feet of water and still caught fish.

When I got back I was talking to our dear friend Paula. She went on a rant that people were lying to her that they were catching Americans. "There's no fu...ing way people are aleady catching Americans, it's way too fu..ing early. It was just probably a big hickory. Most people don't know .hit." Or something to that affect.

I remembered OMC told me Carlos caught an American earlier on so I was sure you guys knew how to tell them apart. Then I tried to explain to Paula that I knew you guys knew how to tell them apart. She didn't buy it and now I have less credibility with her. Oh well. I heard someone asked her if she was available that evening? Don't get discouraged, my father always told me, "It’s a man's job to change a woman’s mind." Keep trying.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It was good seeing you out there Jon. BTW, it was hysterical when Tony asked the guy at the counter at Fletcher's if Paula was taken. :nono:

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
It was good seeing you out there Jon. BTW, it was hysterical when Tony asked the guy at the counter at Fletcher's if Paula was taken. :nono:
As far as I know , she is taken . Ask Gordon , an older regular ! :D I know she doesn't live in the woods all winter anymore .:D :eek:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I asked the guy what time she got off work and if he thought I had a shot with her...
She is Americana ..... we tease about her but it wouldn't be the same experience if she wasn't there.
Doug... yeah man.. it's down to about 13.6 c... that's about what it was on saturday. We'll see what happens tonight. I just need to get my fishon...

·
Registered
885 Posts
Salmo- did you change boat colors?

Carlos- the tourist up at the GW scenic overlook are still talking about the Cuban guy in the green jacket

Tony- you have a lot of guts getting in a rowboat with a hurricane

We should be up there on Friday....cold or no cold

Ernie

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Kiko,

Same boat, same color. Might need a paint job pretty soon but I just haven't gotten to it.

Fished Saturday morning with a row boat at fletchers. Family time on Sat. afternoon/evening.

Fished ALL day on Sunday with my boat from National to 3 sisters, to Marshall Hall, back to fletchers and then back to National and didn't have a whole lot to show for it. This cooler weather is worrying me but we all know the fish are there.

Fished Tuesday night at Chain Bridge. Caught a few shad just before sunset. Figured I'd stick around with the full moon and all. DC shocking boat came up river and were frying shad and herring by the millions. They were being very selective in what they wanted to net. I think they were going for American's by the looks of the size of their nets. Too small for stripers.

Later that night I saw some spawning activity up by fletchers. There was a lot of commotion about mid river in the shallow fast water. They didn't want anything I had either from 6 inch storms, to pencil poppers to 6 inch deceivers.... you name it I tried it and went home by 11pm.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts