Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sucks. Water temps below 9C. :pinch: :death:

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 01646500 POTOMAC RIVER NEAR WASH, DC LITTLE FALLS PUMP STA

Maybe the slightly warmer weekend temps will get things going again, but then it's supposed to get colder again according to the long-range forecast.

I have a feeling that once it gets warm, we're gonna have 2 weeks of intense fishing then it'll be done.

By the way, thanks everybody for your thoughts and input regarding my back. It's feeling better every day...the stabbing pains are mostly gone and the dull ache is too. Still gotta be careful, because when I'm not I get a twinge, but rest and ice are working wonders. :thumbup:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Good news, Doug. Has anyone been out in the last day or two? Now that temps have stabilized, albeit still cold, I wonder if the fishes' metabolism has too and therefore might be receptive to our offerings.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hammered 'em last tuesday (4/3/07) when the water temps were around 15C-16C. I know you and Tony did well at around 14C...so I'm guessing it's got to get up above 11-12C, or at least show a significant warming TREND, before things turn on again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Which temp readings are more relevant? The first or second (top/bottom)? My daughter is out of school and I'm considering Firday as a possible shad outing. Any thoughts on what the water might do temp-wise?:wacko:

BTW, glad to hear you're feeling better Doug.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I'm guessing it could be on today. Friday should be great. I'm tempted to go look today with the outgoing tide in the evening because that means maximum current by the time I get there :clapping2: Although that doesn't really affect shad that far up river but you never know. With the lower water we need all the help we can get and the biggest problem right now is water temp. But the fish have been there for two weeks so I'm surprised the water temp has anything to do with it this late in the game.

Water is VERY clear too by the way. Hopefully that won't be our next problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks John. Friday is penciled back in for Friday :) I was wondering if anyone was going to discuss the water levels. I've been crossing chain bridge alot lately and it does look low. The numbers from Little falls confirm this. :boat:

·
Registered
668 Posts
In clearer water they become much more selective. They don't have those big eyes for nothing. I found last year in the clear conditions when I lightened my tippet and went with smaller less flashy flies my catch rate went back up to about normal.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Now there is all types of rain forecasted for tomorrow:eek: Looks like it's coming from the west and that's where the Potomac River's drainage is. We might be in trouble for another week.

Time to head to the susky. I'm anxiously waiting to hear from Wild Bill on todays fishing up that way. Sounds like people did well yesterday with lures. It's much further but if that's what we have to do to find fishable water than so be it. It's not like it's upstate NY or CBBT.

·
Registered
210 Posts
To fish with my daughter and her cousin Sir Kiko:hammer: I'm hoping for at least one fish a piece. The thing that sux is boats must be back by 5pm which is too early for the evening tide :52:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I gave Occoquan a try today (Tuesday). One good hit only. Lots of people fishing but saw nobody catch anything. Last week was good. Gave up and went to try for tidal LMB. Nothing big but at least a hit and usually a fish on every cast. Lots of YP too, some barely keepable (didn't keep any). Look for warm water, best if deep (10') with current.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
April 10th, 2007

Between 50 and 51 degrees F must be perfect because I just got back and it was HOT! I'll try to keep this short but I'm in such a good mood from the action that all I want to do is share my story. I was stuck in work until 6:16pm in Rockville. I flipped a coin inside my head whether or not I should even bother but I saw the water temp on the little falls gauge was rising and it felt pretty nice outside. I got the pass from the wife until 8:30pm so what the heck. I guess it's still spring break because the traffic was nonexistent and I was doing 75 the entire way. One minor detour on canal road and I'm back on track.

I brought three rods, a 7/8 with deep 7, a smallmouth st croix spinning and a heavy action baitcaster. Plus too much tackle to think about, I wanted to be prepared. Which is always stupid, especially when thinking back to John Gierach comments about novice fishermen who bring too much tackle. I could barely negotiate the dead falls and rocks with an extra 50 ponds on my back.

First cast was with a smallmouth jig because it looked too perfect. Tide was way out and the water was so clear I could see ledges and drop offs like never before. That didn't last long because with no wind the place was begging for the fly rod. But I didn't see one herring flip or one shad porpuse. Only two private boats out, no cormorants and not much action.

After three or four casts with the fly rod I hooked up! Awesome I thought, this things huge, must be an American. Nope, two hickories at once, first time this season. Then another double, then a single, then a double. It was difficult not getting hung on a rock that was 6 feet under the surface at my feet but I managed to avoid it by casting at 2:00 and stripping fast. If I missed the rock I usually would catch a hickory. That Deep 7 is something else and I was in a position where I could throw the entire line minus one or two wraps on the spool. When those shad hit with all that line out it felt like I had an albacore on or something. Some of the shad were HUGE. I thought they were huge females but these monster sized hickory bucks were really happy to see me. :eek2:

IT was near dark and a few larger swirls were seen. Could be shad, could be something else? What the heck, I grabbed the bait caster and let rip the largest lonely angler top water plug that was so deadly last year. The thing didn't make it ten feet and came flying back at me at light speed as my 30 pound braid cut so far into my spool I'd need a bulldozer to dig that back lash out. To heck with that rod. Back to what was producing and is a WHOLE lot more fun. I continued to catch hickories steadily with a double fly rig until well past sunset. A number 10 pink crystal bugger tied with pink estas and pink marabou was the top fly on the rig and the best producer. A chartreuse crystal bugger was the bottom fly and it caught more as it got darker.

I looked at the cell, it was 8:03 and I was all the way at the bottom of the cove and had countless deadfalls and nail invested 2x4s to cross before I got to the truck. Then I had traffic and 15 miles of I270 to conquer. Somehow I kicked the **** out of my best driving record from fletchers. I made it to Chipotle in Gaithersburg kentlands by 8:33 and was holding my welcoming, giggling 7 month old by 8:44. Just 14 minutes late, not bad. Ryan couldn't be happier to see me, I stink like shad and have a meal fit for a king in front of me. Life is good.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Thanks for the report. Guess they're finally starting to hit again. Negotiating a 100+ yards of log jam is no picnic, even in full day light. I've seen more boards with nails than usual this spring... so watchout.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts