Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I remember seeing a post on how to make floats from swim noodles and pvc pipe. Can anyone refresh my memory how this was done? I want to replace the floats and want to try something new.

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. How do you keep the lead from melting the PVC? I will be using them for recreational traps.

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,148 Posts
(1) Drill a hole (the diameter of the line you intend to use as your main line) in the side of the 12" long 1/2" diameter (white) PVC pipe 3.5" from one end. This end is is referred to as the bottom.

(2) Place a wetted paper towel in the bottom of the jaws in a bench vice.

(3) Place the PVC pipe vertically in the vice with the bottom of the pipe resting on the wetted paper towel.

(4) Pour molten lead in the top of the PVC pipe until it reaches the level of the hole drilled in the side of the pipe.

(5) The lead will solidify immediately on contact with the wetted paper towel. CAREFULLY remove the PVC pipe from the vice and place it upright in a container of water. CAUTION!!!! Care must be taken not to allow water to enter the top of the PVC pipe.

(6) NEVER, NEVER look down the barrel of the PVC pipe when the lead is still hot!!!!! Wear good eye protection at all times. Wear thick shoes and other protective clothing. Molten lead is not user friendly. It is not forgiving!!! Be careful.

(7) When the lead has cooled to room temp insert one end of the main line from your trap thru the hole drilled in the side of the PVC pipe and feed it thru the open end (top) of the PVC pipe. Tie a knot in the end of the line and pull it back into the pipe.

(8) Slide the noodle onto the pipe from the bottom towards the top of the pipe. The main line to the trap will be between the pipe and the inside of the noodle. Bring the main line down to the bottom of the noodle and tie a clove hitch around the pipe at the base of the noodle. This keeps the noodle from coming off the pipe.

(9) The main line can be adjusted to whatever length you want it to be based on the depth of the water you are placing the traps in by using a figure 8 wrap around the top and bottom of the pipe ending with a half hitch.

(10) This method allows the float to remain upright and makes it easier to see and grab. Have fun. Be careful.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Polecat, you're awesome. I really appreciate the detailed instructions. I think if I come out without any burned flesh parts, I'll be good to go.

Mike

·
Registered
667 Posts
Polecat...Why the lead in the end? Just to make it more visable?
Mike

·
5,148 Posts
Mike,

No lead in bottom of pipe = float lying on side.

Lead added to one end of pipe (bottom) makes the float stand upright. It makes it much more visible and lots easier for some folks to reach.

There's no rule that says it is the right way. It's the way I like mine so I make mine this way. Folks that have used them seem to like them.

It's just another innovative way to spend time during the winter months when there's no crabs to catch.

·
5,148 Posts
It fits diagonally inside most box traps if it is made with 12" long PVC.
It will fit in the topless traps, but they won't stack as short as without them in there.
Most guys let them and other noodle floats hang on the outside of the stack of topless traps in order to conserve stack height.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts