Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have one of those floats that you store your registration and whatnot in attached to our keys. We always thought that this would float enough if we ever dropped our keys in the water. We found out this is not the case over the weekend. Luckily, the water was on about 2 feet deep so we grabbed them but they sunk right to the bottom.

What kind of float do you have attached to your keys and have you ever tested it? Thanks!

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
We have one of those floats that you store your registration and whatnot in attached to our keys. We always thought that this would float enough if we ever dropped our keys in the water. We found out this is not the case over the weekend. Luckily, the water was on about 2 feet deep so we grabbed them but they sunk right to the bottom.

What kind of float do you have attached to your keys and have you ever tested it? Thanks!
I think the best float is the soft foam. I have not taken the key out of my boat ignition since I bought it 7 years ago so I don't use a float........ Gary

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Thanks Crabby - We have the kind like this: http://www.imprintitems.com/keychains/floating/style4keytainer and it's no good. We have our boat ramp key & trailer key on the chain as well so it can't stay in the ignition.

Is this the kind you are referring to? http://www.imprintitems.com/keychains/floating/oval Have you tested it to make sure it floats with the keys on it? Thanks.
That is the kind I was referring to but don't know how many keys it will float. My trailer lock is a combination lock. It floats in my head! It was my badge # so it won't sink!!....... Gary

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
This is a perfect example of how "stupid" I can get sometimes. I too have a soft float on my boat keys. When I started, I only had the boat key and a trailer lock key attached. Then I added a spare trailer tire, and it needed a key for it's lock. Then my electronics were stolen (DNR got them back from the perp), and I added another key for the lock I bought for the electronics:)

By now, I'm sure I have overloaded the float. The only thing it does is put a big bulge in my pocket. But maybe that's why women buy me drinks at the tiki bar:)
5th

Attachments

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
This is a perfect example of how "stupid" I can get sometimes. I too have a soft float on my boat keys. When I started, I only had the boat key and a trailer lock key attached. Then I added a spare trailer tire, and it needed a key for it's lock. Then my electronics were stolen (DNR got them back from the perp), and I added another key for the lock I bought for the electronics:)

By now, I'm sure I have overloaded the float. The only thing it does is put a big bulge in my pocket. But maybe that's why women buy me drinks at the tiki bar:)
5th
Marty, Didn't you read the capacity plate??? I heard NRP had a 5 gallon bucket for testing and we're writing citations for exceeding the load. Hope those same women are at the jail!!...... Gary

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Just ordered two Suzuki 200 hp. for my boat with keyless ignition, you start the boat with a fob like the new cars. Motors cannot be started without the fob within 100 ft. should cut down on boat theft especially in the Bahamas where it is rampant.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ordered two Suzuki 200 hp. for my boat with keyless ignition, you start the boat with a fob like the new cars. Motors cannot be started without the fob within 100 ft. should cut down on boat theft especially in the Bahamas where it is rampant.
Is the Fob waterproof?

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Is the Fob waterproof?
Yes it is waterproof but I will leave it in my dry box except when I run over to the Bahamas. My boat is stored in a rack inside a hurricane proof building about 50 ft. up on the highest rack so over here it is no problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts