Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I know this isn't about fishing, but I also posted this to the hunting section of the forum. It doesn't look like that section gets much action so I thought I'd post here too for some insight from you all.

Just started hunting this past turkey season and shot my first bird, now I'm addicted to bird hunting. Really would like to get into waterfowl hunting this year, specifically for ducks. I am a bit confused on the Floating Blind Laws here on the Potomac river and bay. Can someone please explain them to me? From the reading I have done online it seems that you are not allowed to have a floating blind unless you have a offshore blind stake license. Is this correct? I have a house in Kinsale, VA on the Yeocomico River and would really like to hunt that area. Any information would be much appreciated!

Tight Lines,

Colin

·
Registered
337 Posts
The laws regarding blinds and floating blinds is sufficiently confusing that it warrants a call to the game commission in Richmond or the game warden in the locality where you want to hunt so that you aren't in violation.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The laws regarding blinds and floating blinds is sufficiently confusing that it warrants a call to the game commission in Richmond or the game warden in the locality where you want to hunt so that you aren't in violation.
Yep... Don't trust anything you read here. Richmond office won't give you any info though. They will refer you to the local office in charge of your district. They will take your number and have him call you. Just have all your questions ready to roll for him. I've talked to 2 of them in the Northern Neck and both are good guys that will be very responsive.

I will give you two pieces of advice.... 1.) Jump shooting from a small boat (assuming you can find a spot to float that is legal distance from stationary blinds) is probably going to be you best bet. You'll only probably shoot buffleheads but they can be darn fun. 2.) FIND ANOTHER HOBBY!!!!!!!!! Duck hunting is addictive, maddening, and expensive.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You can hunt from a boat in the creek as long as your 500 yards from another blind. You can hunt in front of your house if you want or someone's else. You CAN NOT hunt the Potomac in Maryland waters since they have different laws. I just tagged a spot in area for a stationary blind which almost makes it the last spot near homes and annoying owners

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not to rain on your enthusiasm.

If you are talking Virginia waters on the Potomac then you had better be sure that its not within 400 yrds of a stationary blind or in a prohbited area which are many. I can say from experiance that most if not all of these places are already taken and if you hunt it you will be in violation, do plenty of scouting and use use a range finder.

In some counties a floating blind liscense is required. Double check to be sure. Eastern Shore counties they are not required.

If you are a Virginia Resident and you want to float blind in Maryland waters then you can't hunt without a Maryland resident in your floating blind with you unless your hunting off of Maryland State Property.

Things are pretty tight on the Potomac.

If you leave to get a cripple from your boat you must have permission or you risk a tresspassing charge.

Also Virginia is one of the only state where Kings Grant is in place that is even though its only a few areas statewide the land owner owns the water above the stream bed.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
There are no Virginia waters of the Potomac
That depends on what you call the Potomac.... :) I have hunted several times floating what anybody with a brain would say was part of the river and done so quite legally. Takes a bit of effort to find a spot not locked in with a stationary blind though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, this is great info. I think to play it safe I am going to contact my Game Warden of Westmoreland County. I ran into during turkey season and he was a nice guy and told me to call him if I ever had any questions, seems like the safest bet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There are no Virginia waters of the Potomac
How someone figured out which little indentation on the VA shore is VA water, I don't know, but there are quite a few of them. Some pretty big ones too, like off of Coles Pt-north. Many years ago someone I worked with who lived near Mt Vernon did some reseach and got approval to build a blind in VA waters just north of Ft Belvoir. Very nice neighborhood,; most of his neighbors were not amused to find him out there early AM blasting ducks :) Don't know if that blind is still there; the old neighborhoood is gone and replaced with even more expensive homes. On a related subject, during the same period Ft Belvoir had a skeet range that shot over the waterfowl refuge. We were told that lead shot in that area was a no-no when the lead shot issue first came up, and it was shut down :-( I would hate to try and take a shotgun onto Belvoir now, though, even if legal. Would probably start off with being face-down on pavement...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Cbolt...Belvoir maintains blinds that are hunted almost daily. Taking a shotgun onto Belvoir or Quantico is no big deal.

To the original poster..you got some pretty good info and some pretty crappy info on this thread. First Duckhuntingchat.com is full of ducktards. Don't go to that site. Some of the stupid might be contagious and you don't want to catch that.

Both VA and MD have blind laws. Both states differ from each other and within each state the laws may differ between counties or bodies of water. You need to find the laws that apply to your state and more specifically the area in which you plan to hunt. The mainstem of the Potomac belongs to MD. Some VA CPOs are giving bad advice to VA hunters too, so be cautious there too. Last year I had two kids hunting from a VA tagged stationary blind on the Potomac and they were told they were legal by the GW on Quantico. Their blind was about 50 yards from my Md blindsite. Being the nice guy that I am, I slid down a few yards from my blind site and allowed them to hunt anyway. The MD offshore waterfowl zone requires a MD resident in your boat and you must be 400 yards from shore and 250 yards from another blind or hunters. In Va waters you need a Va float license for your boat and there's a minimum distance you must be from legal stationary blinds. I believe it's 400 yards also, but check to be sure. Some counties don't allow float hunting at all in VA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts