Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few shots of my trip to the Keys in mid-Feb. I stayed at a place that had Boston Whalers to use with the rooms but it rained the first 2 days and I was only there 3. I was out for an hour before the skies unloaded and I had to run back to base. In less than an hour, I caught 8 fish, kept 4 Snapper that I cooked for dinner that evening. The fish just about jump in the boat in the Keys. Really amazing. I headed up to Ft. Lauderdale from there. Nice Winter break. Jim

Attachments

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike Week

Have a great time. Are you trailering a bike? Jim

·
Registered
388 Posts
Were the boats that you can use part of the package? Was there a separate charge to use the boats? Looks like a great place to do some nice fishing. Do you have any info on their rates?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yes Jim...do tell details about your accomodations while down in the keys.

My GF and I are already planning next winters escape, and the Keys are tops on our list. We love to fish together so this sounds like an ideal place.

Thanks for sharing
Rod

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Keys

The place I stayed was Rainbow Bend Resort, Marathon, FL so you should Google and read about it. There are a couple of bad reviews but they are bogus. I had a huge suite-type room with full kitchen, very clean, the bathroom had a skylight and you can use the boats between 730 a.m. and 3 p.m. for 4 hrs. If they are slow, they'll let you use them longer. The good fishing is very close and everybody catches fish, trust me. Marathon is not far from Key West, which has the night-life and lots of it for any of you younger guys. I placed my rods in the overhead compartment on the airplane, didn't even put them in a case, just in front of the baggage, no problem. The room with tax, boat and full breakfast was $240 per night, so that's why I only stayed 3 nights. Splitting that 2 or 3 ways wouldn't be too bad. They also have washers and dryers in the central area so you don't have to bring that many clothes. Make sure they give you a room facing the water vs. the road. Big difference. Some of the rooms have nice decks facing the ocean. Mine faced the road and the Keys are narrow but I didn't hear the traffic and had no trouble sleeping. The guy who takes care of the boats is an old Navy salt and some people in the reviews I mentioned found him a bit gruff but he was nice to me and everyone else that I saw him dealing with. Contrary to what some personal reviews say, the only other charge was $10 per day when you use the boats on your bill, for fuel. The restaurant is supposed to have fantastic food and a nice bar but I ate in and out elsewhere. I'll return to the same place. You should also go offshore one day. Go to the main Marina in Islamorado - Whale Harbor - and just catch a ride with others looking to split the cost. I didn't do it this year but went last year and we were worn out reeling in every type of fish in the ocean. They will cook a piece of your catch for you right there, $8.95 with 2 sides plus you can drink in the 2nd story open-air bar and watch the other boats come in. It's fantastic but don't tell anyone. :} Jim

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I told you I live in Paradise...have you read my posts on fishing across the street??

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keys

Capt Bob - No, I haven't but I'll look for them. You do live in Paradise. Where is across the street? Jim

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Across the street is a manmade canal about 300 yds long and maybe 30 yds across...the posts will speak for themselves after that...

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bike Week

Bogman - Nice ride. Wish I was there and had a 93 Wide-Glide. Enjoy the party my friend. You live your life (like Capt Bob) and that's the ticket. Jim

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Bob, theres another place inIslemorada that will cook your fish for 13 bucks really nice place, whats the name of it ? God damn I hate getiing old...

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
most decent places will cook your catch,,,how about Picchi's 88,, or the Bluewater Tiki Bar in the Islander Resort or perhaps the Lor-e-lei restaurant or Lazydays...Whoos Bar and Grill??

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Hemmingways-above worldwide Sportsman
Ilamorada fish co- next to World Wide Sportsman
and my favorite -Lorelei ,Bayside bar & restaurant about 2 blocks north of WWS- great place for evening entertainment & sunsets

Many restaurants will cook your days catch for a reasonable fee that includes your sides- very common in the keys- some advertise and some don't advertise this but are always willing if you ask

·
Registered
84 Posts
Jim, During Bike Week I have a buddy that said he would hook me up with some Black Drum! Big fish! Sounds and looks like a nice place you stayed at. When you are in Key West next stop at BO's fish wagon for a great fish sandwich. Interesting place.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
rainbow bend

BTT...moved it up so you could read it...next time just do a search and it will be there....also I stayed at white sands just down the road but they do not offer much in ways of boats

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Bring the old salty Navy guy a mug of strong black coffee in the morning and a cold brew in the evening and you will win him over....trust me...it works on...er for me...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Ah, reminds me of that first bar on the right in Key Largo that's closed for one hour a day, can't remember name. Used to see people sleeping out the hour in their cars while on the way to work in the AM. fishing was fantastic!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts