Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im considering switching to floro on all my bally rigs this year, 100 or 130#. i am interested in hearing opinions about its value. does it help that much? i do know two things about it, its very abrasion resistant, and thank god for crimps.

also, any brands that y'all prefer? man, thats expensive stuff!

i see that the yozuri stuff is pretty cheap on some sites. i guess there is a reason for that....

brett

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use momoi 130 flourocarbon on all my wind on ballyhoo rigs ?
Is it necessary ? I'm not sure. Almost all charter boats that I know pull mono and they have plenty of success. I hear a lot mates say they love clear Ande leader.

flourocarbon is tougher than mono and I do think it helps a little getting drifter bites.
Is it worth the extra cost ? I guess that's up to the angler but I want every little advantage I can get being weekend warrior on a outboard.

Good luck,

Byron

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
You are going to get all sorts of opinions...simplest answer, if you feel it gives you an advantage while trolling, then use it. I have my feelings on Fluro for trolling and I do use it on some rigs - mainly wind-on's for my long riggers where more leader material is in the water from time to time but for my flat lines I don't use it. I've had days where the long riggers are not getting bites (with fluro) but my center long bait is getting hit left and right with 250 pound straight mono.

I've heard good things about the yo-zuri pink fluro...but I've yet to try it

·
Registered
411 Posts
The only bad thing about Fluro is the cost. With the cost of all the other things involved fluorocarbon vs mono is not a whole lot more.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not sure if it works either, back in the 80s and early 90s when I was going off shore 4 or 5 times a week and making my boat payments with my catch (it was legal then) we used 156 lb piano wire with a hay wire twist, barb through the bait and a copper wire tie caught lots of fish now people tell me I am crazy and their reseach tells them you can't catch fish like that any more so I guess try it and see what works for you

·
Registered
785 Posts
It eliminates doubt-sometimes when you are not getting bites you start going down your checklist of reasons why you are not getting bit- flurocarbon is not one of the issues on my boat. If I get one more bite a day because of my leaders- it's worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Pink Frey's. It's junk! Sea Guar 80lb has been my favorite. Forget the rope sized stuff for wind-ons unless up close or on snap swivel rigs/spreader bar rigs. Wind-on means no leadering so if crimped properly it just needs to be as strong as your main line provided the fish doesn't chaff through. Flouro is already larger in Dia per lb,class. Dia is what spooks Tuna. Keep your rigs stealthy on tough days but rig perfect every time & pull test every connection to 40lbs min. Change those chalky rigs often & clean with Alcohol wipes between trips or else don't bother with Flouro. The price break on Flouro is at 80lb. You can get three 30ft wind-on's per spool for $27-30. Flouro can especially help on tough/calm days but only when clean, fresh & not to large in Dia, will it out perform a fresh thin Dia mono on the troll.

IMO it's biggest advantage is chaff resistance allowing you to get away with using a 1.0mm crimp/pin rig but the double edged sword has always been knowing when to throw it in the trash. Going shorter that 30ft is no better a plan either. Also ditch the 7691 Mustad hook & use the more stealthy 7692 DT in #9 size. It has the same Tuna bend & welded eye but is much more stealthy while still being plenty strong for this amount of drag. Also change your sea witches often. Don't keep re-using some matted up dull looking mess of a sea witch. Fresh leaders ,baits, skirts plus stealthy thin Dia. leader ,hooks & terminal tackle all add up to more bites on the days when it matters.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Due to the price break and stealth issue I like the 80lb Sea Gar. I see the triplefish and other cheaper stuff but I stick with what seems to work for me. I'm still old school no wind on's but 15 foot leaders. Love leadering fish. I think the 80lb is plenty strong and maybe its in my mind but I do seem to get more bites or outfish other boats I'm working with using 100 or 130 mono on their rigs.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Keep it on the boat. Don't necessarily need it all the time but when you do it will payoff big. It all depends on how the fish are feeding. If they've been pounded and have become leader shy floro will get you more bites. Other times fish seem to hit anything you throw in the water. We fished a Tuna chunk bite at the Parking lot a few years back, going on for days. The fish were thick but had become finicky.They would rush our standard leader right behind the boat and turn away at the last minute. Switched to floro and boated one fish after another. The key to a successful catch is figuring out whats working on a specific day and having it available to use. Every day is different. Good luck. Harpoon

Harpoon Larry's Web-Site
Harpoon Larry's on Face Book

·
Registered
470 Posts
I run 80# Flor. on most of my rigs. I like sea guar OK but now I'm hooked on triple fish strong as nails and a lot less money then most. I buy online directly from Triple Fish. I bought a 300yd spool afew years ago.
Best fish landed on 80# triple fish flor. so far was a 450# Blue Marlin(1 1/2 hour fight on 30# class gear).
Fish lost due to Triple fish flor. breaking 0.

Good Luck,
Fishduck

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
It eliminates doubt-sometimes when you are not getting bites you start going down your checklist of reasons why you are not getting bit- flurocarbon is not one of the issues on my boat. If I get one more bite a day because of my leaders- it's worth it to me.
Could not have said it better. I hate it when I'm all the way out there racking your brain as to why we are not getting bites. Just elimate that (among the thousand other reasons). But now Bill's post has me going out and changing all my leaders even though they are not that old I do notice some are a little chaulky. Oh well, just open the wallet and dump it all out.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Mike when you start to see the chalky/ fadded look to your leaders, just use alcholol wipes.

All the top boats during Giant season north and south stretch and clean there leader daily

Richard

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Between taking away the doubt , cleaning your leaders , changing when used & chaffing benefits the flouro wins since it helps on days when they are finicky ? Trax nailed it ( no pun to the roofer contractor ) , you can drive yourself to drink with the what ifs ? Good luck this season ......

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys for the responses. they are much appriciated! since my ballys are usually windons, i guess ill try the 80 floro. the mate on the boat out of OI i fished with swears by it for the bluefin. they will be its first test. headed to chinco in june. just hope the wx cooperates!

time to re-rig!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Not sure if it works either, back in the 80s and early 90s when I was going off shore 4 or 5 times a week and making my boat payments with my catch (it was legal then) we used 156 lb piano wire with a hay wire twist, barb through the bait and a copper wire tie caught lots of fish now people tell me I am crazy and their reseach tells them you can't catch fish like that any more so I guess try it and see what works for you
With all that being said I must confess our best fish last year that we managed to hold on to was a 220 lb bigeye caught on ....#10 wire while looking for a Wahoo at the Canyon; so ehherman's point is valid. Anyway just pull something and go get 'em. dave PS now my garage smells like a hospital ward; alcohol swabs- Jesh!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I would guess you are on an outboard? Are you fishing OI, HI, or VB?

OI & HI you need to have all the stealth these guys are talking about. Long riggers and baits that are far back floro is good. Flat lines and short short riggers that the line does not hit the water no need.

Also what species? Marlin, wahoo, Mahi, bluefin no need for floro. Yellowfin by mid summer you should have it on most all rigs all wind ons. So if you are fishing spring have your long baits on floro and short baits not as much.

Properly rigged baits and hungry fish are good to have as well. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.