Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Admiral and I set out on Sunday armed with all of our fishing tools, to see what sort of fishing action we could find.
We started at Hacketts, but found nothing... So, since the Bay was almost flat we decided to leave the becalmed blowboats behind and headed east to scout the Brickhouse Bar and Gum Thickets areas.

I found small marks and bait all along the channel drop off at Brickhouse Bar, but we continued south to 86 which I thought might hold something a little bigger. We found a small fleet of boats anchored just north of 86, so we checked the drift to keep ourselves clear, and started a west to east wind drift right off of the marker.

We set out a pair of bottom rigs - braid with flouro leader and a snap swivel to which we attached 1/2 oz of weight and a snelled 2/0 circle hook with a flicker. For bait we used cocktail shrimp.

As those rigs bounced across the bottom, I set about jigging a Hopkins shortie with a single hook bucktail finish. Standing by in the rocket launcher was a Lonely Angler top water plug whever the infrequent breaking pods were spotted within casting distance. Every time breaking fish were spotted nearby and we started throwing the plugs, a boat would move in and put the fish down. :((

The drift across the shell bottom was just about perfect for catching these guys in the 12 to 14" range...

Of course, the drift was also perfect to pick up a few of these guys as well. :D

Unfortunately, my quest for blues and rock went unanswered, as my jigs and topwater both failed me.
We really didn't mind though. It was a great day to be on the water, and the flounder were an interesting bonus. ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
interesting that the flatties are still around!
thanks for the report

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Nice flounder. I was at the thickets fished away form the fleet with NADA. Decided to troll and caught 2 bules.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Would that be "Guys" or "Gals"?? Dem' fingernails looked painted red to me?? Just kidding...Nice Report and awesome pics!!

Rich

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
Shame the Flounder were not keepers but still great to see them being caught.Might sneak down there and try a few small Spot on the bottom :thumbup:.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts