Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big rockfish have arrived in the lower bay with several fish over 50 pounds weighed in this past weekend. We did not fish for them. We will over the Thanksgiving Weekend. We fished for some other species first.

On Sunday, we ran out to the Fingers to look for bluefin tuna. Our plan if we did not find them was either to go further offshore and bottom fish, or run inshore and fish some wrecks. We did not find bluefin tuna at the Fingers but a few other boats were seeing them inshore so we decided to head into the Triangle Wrecks. We did not find any tuna there either. The boats who were seeing them, and later managed to catch a few in the 100 pound class, were about 13 miles south of us in the area of the Rick's Wreck. We decided to drop down on the Triangle Wrecks first before running south. We never made the run. We were kept busy catching sea bass to almost 5 pounds and some chopper bluefish. We had some crab onboard so we anchored on one of the wrecks and tried to catch a tautog. That did not happen, the sea bass were too thick. If we found a spot without too many sea bass the flounder would not leave our crab alone. We caught 16 flounder on our tautog rigs while anchored in one spot. The flounder ranged from 17.5 inches to 25 inches long. One flounder got caught by a bluefish on the way up. We kept 8 over 19 inches. Flounder for Thanksgiving Dinner.

Monday, I ran Tricia's (used to be mine until she said otherwise) boat around to the Elizabeth River. She joined me later in her kayak after she got the kids off to school. Matt Rinck and David Brabrand were there in another boat. We all caught speckled trout. I caught 8 releasing fish of 24 and 25 inches. Tricia caught a couple from her kayak. She kept one nice one to weigh in for our club's kayak tournament. I don't know what it weighs yet as it is still in her cooler. Matt and David had a nice catch. They kept a few. David's largest fish weighed in at 6 pounds and Matt weighed in one at 5 pounds.

I expect we will break out some eels and try for some big rockfish this week. Those bluefin are still out there though and now we know where they are.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Great Report and nice pics too...... a pleasure to view.... thanks for sharing :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Real nice catch and great report Ken and crew.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
man that's crazy w/ that flounder bit in half!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Way to go get em' Ken. We had done pretty well on the flounder out there a couple weeks ago. One week, many nice keepers, the next week all throwbacks...strange. Drifting out there with Gulp assassins did the trick for us. We also caught a couple while anchored and jigging inside the rubble

·
Registered
860 Posts
Here's a question to provoke some thought... is the flounder that was bit by a bluefish legal to keep if it didn't measure 19 inches? I would have kept it but I wonder what the "man" would say if they checked it.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's a question to provoke some thought... is the flounder that was bit by a bluefish legal to keep if it didn't measure 19 inches? I would have kept it but I wonder what the "man" would say if they checked it.
That is a good question and I do not know. It was not one of the 8 fish we kept. There should be some common sense and the officers have discretion but it was not 19 inches by the time we caught it so it went back into the food chain.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts