Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email from Jeff Deem, who is one of Virginia's representatives on the Mid Atlantic Council. One of the measures that he is fighting, which is gaining momentum is the concept of coast wide limits and seasons on flounder. Such limits would benefit New York, which is pushing for them to the detriment of Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, etc. Anyway the measure is.

2 Fish, 20 inch minimum with a May 1st to Sept. 30 season.

I am working on where to send letters. . .

To see where this is coming from. The numbers are in for 2008. The unit is 1000's of fish.
StateTargetLandings% Over/Under Target
MA113150+33
RI116200+72
CT77118+53
NY361600+66
NJ801870+9
DE6433+48
MD61125+105
VA342231-32
NC11554-53

The season and limits for 2008 were

StateMinimumPossession LimitSeason
MA17.5"5 fishJune 10 - Aug 15
RI20"7 fishAll Year
CT19.5"5 fishMay 24 - Sept. 1
NY20.5"4 FishMay 15 to Sept 1
NJ18"8 FishMay 24 - Sept. 7
DE19.5"4 FishAll Year
MD (coastal)17.5"3 fishJan. 1 - Oct. 24
MD (Chesapeake)16.5"1 FishJan. 1 - Oct. 24
Potomac River16.5"1 Fish All Year
VA19"5 FishClosed July 21 - 30
NC (internal)14"8 FishAll Year
NC (Ocean)15.5"8 FishAll Year

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
So basically the northern states are trying to penalize us for their overage and take up our shortfall? That's exactly what they are doing to us with the current sea bass regulations isn't it Tom?

·
Registered
249 Posts
let's seceed! Why let them decide our fate? Do they have more reps by virtue of being a bigger state?

they raise size limits, this takes big breeding fish out of the genepool. The Ches. Bay is the nursery for flounder....so when we are UNDER, there is a reason. Less mommies = Less babies. Give a slot, like rockfish, with 1 large and 3 small allowed for the NY crowd.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Sucks is putting it mildly. Is this a move across fisheries management to go to a coast wide management system for all species or just an attempt by the northern states to minimize their pain by sharing it with us on the flounder?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Man, Craige Paige is gonna go out of business with that garbage. I dont do a whole lot of flounder fishing anymore, but it dont sound like it would be worth it anyways. Interesting that states on either side of us are allowed to keep all the fish we are throwing back. Also, what about the commercial numbers. I have seen draggers come in before with what looked like tens of thousands of fish off just one haul. Thanks Tom

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Sucks is putting it mildly. Is this a move across fisheries management to go to a coast wide management system for all species or just an attempt by the northern states to minimize their pain by sharing it with us on the flounder?
Darren you can say that again.. total BS:censored::censored:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Draggers only get the left over from commercial qouta. When the commercial guys that hook n line or net do not reach there qouta at the end of the 3rd quarter the rest is given to the draggers which if I remember correctly doesen`t open till the 15 of this month then its a derby style run till the yearly qouta is reached. There is still only a 300,000 pound qouta for the year

1 - 9 of 9 Posts