Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently moved my boat from the Solomons area to the mouth of the Great Wicomico. Does anyone know of any flounder spots in and around the Great Wicomico?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Capt. Ron,
Welcome to the neighborhood. I have a place at Fleeton Beach which is just off the GW Lighthouse. As to answer your question. Not to many flounder fisherman in the area. Mainly because there are not many flounder. If you want flounder you have to keep going south.
Bubba[angel][angel][angel]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Flounder can be found at the entrance to Smith Point jetty and inside the jetty, blackberry hang. From Smith Point lighthouse north to Green #1 can along the drop off

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
From my experience, flounder fishing is spotty north of the Rappahannock. probably due to salt as R&B suggests and also water quality. Flounder are more numerous on the eastern side of the bay due to greater clarity and salinity. Oxygen content is so poor around the mouth of the Potomac from min-summer on that bottom fish can't live.

I did catch one nice flounder, 18.5 ", at the Pt. Lookout drop off in 04 but usually catch only small ones from there down to Blackberry Hang.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been fishing the Great Wicomico for a couple of years now. There are a few places actually in the river that will hold decent flounder if the conditions are right. First you need to find the holes and that's tough to do because not many people fish for flounder around there and overall the fishing pressure in the river is not that great so you're not going to see 8 boats lined up on a drift. Live bait is another key. Another key is to fish real early, real late, or at night. Once boat traffic has started it's tough. I'll tell you one place I've had luck that's not really a secret but most people fish here for croakers and spot- if you head up the river on your right you'll see Hainie pt. (I think that's what it's called, it's a nice sandy point with some rip) and on your left you'll see a new oyster bar. Search around that area for some holes and drop a live spot or your flounder bait of choice. If the flounder aren't biting I've caught about every fish that lives in the bay there. It's a nice place to fish on those days when the winds blowing or you don't feel like hanging with 132 boats at the nnreef. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Capt. Ron, I heard tales about a youngster pulling a 15" flattie from the dock at Ingram Bay Marina last year, on fishbites... don't know who was more surprised, him or the fish! I've not had that kind of luck there though- you might try running across to Tangier Sound, fishing from the cut through the island south along the flats to the southern end of the Island.

BTW, I'm also a Solomons transplant, sharing the creek with you... stop by sometime when I'm out tinkering on my 20' Outrage (red T-top, only one on the creek).

·
Registered
86 Posts
That was no tale, it was a true story and I think the flattie went 16.5" but was returned to fight another day. This kid was fishing at the dock even after spending an entire day fishing with Captain Dave on Ace's Up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'll agree that Tangier sound is a great place for flounder. Not that far a run from Reedville if the weather is good. I still say some nice ones can be caught in the GW river. I didn't even start trying till I talked to commercial netters and crabbers in the river who said they caught nice sized flounders. Our place is way up the river and in the summer I pull undersized flounder out of crab traps all the time and have caught keepers nearby. I used fishbites in the OBX this summer and they outfished bloodworms and shrimp by a large amount, can't wait to try them this year locally. If you can't tell I'm jonesing to throw the boat in the water and start the 06 fishing year. Fish all day on the bay and come back and grab some flounder and scallop sandwiches at cockrells creek while the sun sets. Winter stinks unless I'm on a ski slope.

grover

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the comments and I look forward to fishing the river/Northern Neck area. Listen for the "Time Abroad" -- 25' Proline. [excited]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Capt Dave .... I recently joined the club and I plan to attend the upcoming seminar. Look forward to meeting you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts