Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know any great Flounder spots around the Lower Potomac river? I was the NNAC event with the charter boat captains and i got all worked up about catching flounder this year. Never done it but sounds fun so can anyone tell me any spots to try...Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
It depends on the type of summer we have (salinity reasons) but during certain summers there are lots of flounder around Piney Point. Just fish the drop offs and around the dock area. There is also a couple of places farther down river towards point lookout. One that i think is called "Boys Camp" and the other is Cornfield Harbor. If you travel down river from piney point on the maryland side you will see a row of buildings that really does look like a camp. Fish in front of that. Cornfield harbor is a little closer to point lookout. Fish around the markers and the crab pots. I hope this helps.

Oh yea. I forgot to mention smith point at the mouth on the VA side.

Hookem

·
Registered
861 Posts
Fishdog, there's some Flounder just up river from the birthday cake near Sandy Pt. I think that's close for you. Make sure the tide is moving and fish the drop offs. We've had some luck this year with some great Flounder in the lower Potomac. Just remember, they don't pull as hard as all those big Rochfish you've been catching!!!!!

Mushy
27 Judge
Chesapeake
"Getsome"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the info helps becasue i new to Flounder Fishing so anything helps...I don't know wether to troller or bottom fish. I more likely will try everywhere till i find some great spots including Sandy point...So any suggestions on secret baits i should know about other than squid and crab.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bottom fish with minnows. You can catch them yourself or buy them at a tackle shop. Strips of croaker or bluefish are also good. If you catch a keeper flounder you can use strips of that also but make sure you keep the rest of the fish on board so you can verify that the bait came from a legal fish.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
There is a bar running from Point Lookout toward the Pt. Lookout light. On an outgoing tide, Start drifting near the bayside of the bar toward the dropoff. You can see it on a chart. Good spot here. You can do the same thing on incoming but from the river side and drifting up river.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts