Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Flounder fishing and mostly a freshwater guy. I was wondering if someone can give me some basics for the upcoming flounder season. Any help would be appreciated.

Tides, rigs, locations anything!! Just looking for a place to start.

I fished twice last year with limited success. I jigged around the islands at the CBBT with jigs and gulp.

If anyone has any good articles or posts that I can review that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
There's a lot to flounder fishing this area. You can read about it in Keith Kaufman's flounder book, but the best advice would be to charter someone who knows the area well. 2nd best advice would be to go as a ho with someone on this board. I would be glad to take you anytime. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
For starters, you can google, fishing for summer flounder or (fluke). YouTube has a lot of video tips on rigs and methods. Join one of the many fishing clubs in the area, and I'm sure you can go out with some of the members on their boat and they will help you learn and in the process make some new friends. Southpaw is right about going out as a HO or charter a boat, Like Craig Paige, of Paige 2 charters at LongBay Pointe. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
There is a lot of knowledge on this site. I have found that structure and drop offs will hold fish. However do not rule out shallow flat water on a sunny day. Start shallow and slowly go deep. A GPS is one of the most helpful tools. When you catch a fish mark the spot or the Pilon number. If you dont catch another fish in a few min pull up and get ahead of the spot marked. Fish a lot of times are clustered up.If you are live bating DO NOT set the hook at the first nibble but let him feel no resistence and count to 20(play out line). Then set the hook hard. If you really want to learn to catch monster flounder charter Craig Page in June July or August. Those fish in the pic are three citation flounder caught on Craigs boat July 3rd. 9lb11 9lb10 7lb9 We had 14 fish all over 5 lbs each

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. What is a HO? Not sure that I can afford a charter right now but will start saving. SouthPaw thanks for the offer I will definately take you up on it.

Is there a tide that is better or is it mostly a depth and structure situation? I have seen numerous rigs used online but which seem to work best locally. Like I said I used a 2 oz bucktail with a Gulp shrimp with some success. Never used live or cut bait. I am also Looking for a good place to get my own bait via cast net or hook.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
HO= Hands Onboard....Helping Out, ect........Basicly, go out with someone, help with cost, maybe bring along some good grub, and most of all, DONT BE A JERK!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
and read every report when the bite starts, take notes as to when and where if the report specifies, and fish as often as possible. good luck

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Second the taking notes. I have several years of fishing data thart I write on whats called a Tidelog. The Tidelog has EVERYTHING you need to know about water flow,tides,daylight,and so much more. As said take notes. Fish with other Tidal fish people. There is no one way. Keep an open mind. Pay attention to what others are doing around you if they are catching. I sometimes cant find anyone to go so I fish alone. bmail me your info Bobby

http://www.tidelog.com/

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have noticed that there are numerous rigs available at the tackle shops but I also know that some of those are designed to catch fisherman not really fish. Is there like 2 or 3 basic rigs that I need?

I really appreicate all of the info and look forward to fishing with everyone.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Navyangler,
I see that you have sent me a message.However, when I try to get it a data base message from Tidal fish comes up. You can call me @ 418-1966 Bobby

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I tie my own rigs. Your basic drift or troll rig is a 30-40+" leader made from 40-50lb quality clear mono with a Kahle(flounder hook)2/0-4/0. THe hook is snelled making at least 14 loops. I use the premade bucktail hair,glass beads,small spinner blade,and this year I am using little eyes on the spinner blades. Will it make a difference? I dont know but it sure makes me hungry. Then use a three way with a 6-12+" drop to your weight. Thats your basic unit. Cut up a large white squid into long stips,put a minnow trap with dog biscuits tied in the middle with nylon ties and you got the chesapeake cocktail(both big minnow and strip) going on. Good luck. I probably have talked too much already. I must go know into hiding.

·
Registered
152 Posts
" I must go into hiding" now that's funny. I see legions of local Fluke Dukes clamoring on your dock with torches dropping bricks in your minnow pots and slicing up your cast net, lol. Banished Ye are, banished! Our is that "trout traitor" punishment?,
, lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts