Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished out of Oyster yesterday and didn't get a bite. Perfect conditions light winds , afternoon ebb tide, and 58 degree water temperature. I usually catch my first flounder in March but have'nt caught any until April for the last two years. This will be my latest first ever in 50+ years of doing this.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Dam that afternoon would have been the best of it!!!! I'm sitting up here in Chinco and if don't blow it rains. SST has water temp around 54 up here but I haven't even tried yet, been busy and hearing nothing. Matt who runs Seahawk Tackle in Pocomoke said he's heard nothing either. We need a good steady run of 70* sunshine low wind days.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Thanks for the report. I suspect that while your shallow waters where you fish may be getting right for the temps, the offshore/nearshore waters are still very cold. The flounder have to travel through the cold offshore waters to get to Oyster. I think everything will be late this year but it will get better.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
146 Posts
If seasider isn't catching flounder, no one is catching flounder. His early season posts are always impressive. The boats out of Chincoteague must be netting them because Tim the seafood man in Exmore had Flounder this weekend. Wont be long now.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the report. I suspect that while your shallow waters where you fish may be getting right for the temps, the offshore/nearshore waters are still very cold. The flounder have to travel through the cold offshore waters to get to Oyster. I think everything will be late this year but it will get better.
When dredging was still allowed the crabbers would tell me when they started picking up flounder , usually in mid to late Feb. and within three weeks I could expect to start catching a few with bait. Some years it would be very good by mid March and other years only so so but always a few. That just hasn't happened the last few years. I can't tell you for sure whether they are here or not but in my experience once the water temperature reached 50 degrees you can expect to start catching them I don't care how cold the winter was. I've been fishing for flounder on the eastern shore for over 50 years and this wasn't the first cold winter we've ever experienced.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
When dredging was still allowed the crabbers would tell me when they started picking up flounder , usually in mid to late Feb. and within three weeks I could expect to start catching a few with bait. Some years it would be very good by mid March and other years only so so but always a few. That just hasn't happened the last few years. I can't tell you for sure whether they are here or not but in my experience once the water temperature reached 50 degrees you can expect to start catching them I don't care how cold the winter was. I've been fishing for flounder on the eastern shore for over 50 years and this wasn't the first cold winter we've ever experienced.
Thanks for the info. Of course I'm just speculating based on the cold water. We all look forward your early season reports. Keep em coming.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Thanks for real fishing activity reports. Its been so slow I don't even want to put the boat back in the water yet. Weather and no reports make me a little like the fish - lethargic...

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
I agree Seasider.We had many winters like this back in the 70s and by now it wasn't hard to get a cooler full of nice flatties from Wachapreague south.
it was always few weeks later up in Chincoteague.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report Seasider. Hoping to get out in the next couple of weeks, if time and mother nature allows.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
318 Posts
Jim,
I have heard of a few being caught in crab pots. Should be any day now. May give them a shot Sunday. May see you out there.

Rex

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the report.
Chomping at the bit to get up there and fish!!
Had the crew over here rigging lures (think we called you).
I'm ready to go at a moments notice.
Looking like a good afternoon ebb in about 2 weeks, hope the wind cooperates.
What weather site do you all use there?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm just happy to see some conversation about flounder fishing.It won't be long if the water is already in the 50's.I'll be down soon Jim.If the flounder don't cooperate maybe we can try the togs.

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
Maybe they migrate no matter what the temps are, but I think they wouldn't feed until it warms to the feeding temps.
those Rock came up in the Bay even though it was frigid so if they travel like the Rock do they'll be here in a minute....... I'm going soon

·
Registered
76 Posts
I gave Willoughby a shot Sunday. Sewells point had a water temp over 50, the wind was calm, and I caught bait in my canal with very little effort. I headed out at 9:30 am. I soon saw the buffleheads were still around so the water is still chilly. The terns aren't on their nests yet and I saw no baitfish. It's still a little early. I fished several shallow areas for about an hour and then called it quits. On the positive side it felt good to get the kayak in the water and give it a shot. I also saw two small groups of dolphins cruising around. I'm trying again at 55 degrees.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I gave Willoughby a shot Sunday. Sewells point had a water temp over 50, the wind was calm, and I caught bait in my canal with very little effort. I headed out at 9:30 am. I soon saw the buffleheads were still around so the water is still chilly. The terns aren't on their nests yet and I saw no baitfish. It's still a little early. I fished several shallow areas for about an hour and then called it quits. On the positive side it felt good to get the kayak in the water and give it a shot. I also saw two small groups of dolphins cruising around. I'm trying again at 55 degrees.
Hopefully it won't be long. Thanks for the reports. I will be out beginning May.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jim,
I have heard of a few being caught in crab pots. Should be any day now. May give them a shot Sunday. May see you out there.

Rex
I probably won't try again for at least 4 or 5 days.

Thanks for all the help with the shad. We caught all the fish we could handle the trouble is we also drank almost as many beers. Luckily our third man didn't drink so we had a designated driver. Several people told us that was the biggest boat they had ever seen on the river. We did hit a few logs but I took your advice and didn't go very fast.
Thanks again,
Jim

·
Registered
318 Posts
Glad to help Jim. It has been a pretty good year for the shad. I have given roe to all the senior guys around that I try to help out since my dad passed away and also corned down several buckets of fillets for me so I will be shifting focus to flounder. See you on the seaside soon.

Rex

1 - 20 of 27 Posts