Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the past I have scored on flounder in solomons at the 3 leged buoy ,out to buoys 74 and 76 and out of breezy to sharp island flats . The last several years I cant find them anywhere . Has anyone had any luck locally ? Otherwise Ill be headed to OC .

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I use to live on Kent Island. I sold rockfish to Fishermen market/Crab Deck. They let me fish off the pier before they opened. Believer it or not, I caught flounder off the pier while fishing for spot to use for rockfish. I'm talking about 14 years ago.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Flounder in our region have been on a downward spiral for at least the last five years. Lower Potomac, Lower Patuxent, Mid Bay Eastern Shore rivers and bays all not seeing the numbers that were the norm for the previous twenty years from my observations. If you know their patterns and more specifically some of the better flounder holes you can still pick up a few but the overall numbers are way down.

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
Not sure why Flounder do not seem to come north past Point Look Out lately.

We used to do good on them as far up as bay bridge. Don't even see small ones anymore - used to catch 1-2 while bottom fishing.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Remember flounder on the Tolley bar and trout just north of the bridge as recently as a dozen years ago. Changing fishery as we harvest and pollute it to death....and probably more fresh water too.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I love it when fishermen keep saying.A particular species is "cyclic" they'll come back again.The list seems to just keep growing, doesn't it?

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
........at least with "HOPE" there is life, and with dreams there are possibilities. If not then why bother ? ? ?
There still is Hope,dreams and life.It's just not always where it used to be. Sometimes it's not worth waiting for the fruit to fall from the same tree.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
The entire biomass of flounder has shifted north and now most of the flounder are being caught between NJ and Conn.

Trawlers from Va Beach head to NJ to fill their quotas.

Their range has shifted because ( insert here ).

The American Lobster fishery has shifted to the north as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I do very well with flounder and specs in SC. Way better than the Bay.

Some say harsh winters, some say cycles. I say just as a species makes a comeback in the bay, they fall off big time because you can only avoid the pound nets for a while.

7 years ago PLO produced good flounder...less and less to non existent now. Ditto specs and red drum a couple years later.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
When I was a kid, catching flounder in the bays behind OC was like shooting fish in a barrel, and I can remember feeling disappointed getting one at The Hill instead of rockfish when everyone was chumming. Now days we cant seem to buy one. We went to Lookout a few times several times back, and that seems to have crashed. We tried the bays on The Eastern Shore Atlantic Coast in VA, but that seems to be tanking. Good grief!
:52:

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
When I was a kid, catching flounder in the bays behind OC was like shooting fish in a barrel, and I can remember feeling disappointed getting one at The Hill instead of rockfish when everyone was chumming. Now days we cant seem to buy one. We went to Lookout a few times several times back, and that seems to have crashed. We tried the bays on The Eastern Shore Atlantic Coast in VA, but that seems to be tanking. Good grief!
:52:
Back in the 80's you could fill a 55 Gallon drum up with flounder at the gas docks. Big blues and trout were everywhere at Point Lookout. You could get a bushel of crabs in no time in the South River and you could swim in the bay without fear of disease. Good times and am glad I was a part of it. There is no one reason that it is not like that now. I think the biggest problem is over population......... Gary

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Back in the 80's you could fill a 55 Gallon drum up with flounder at the gas docks. Big blues and trout were everywhere at Point Lookout. You could get a bushel of crabs in no time in the South River and you could swim in the bay without fear of disease. Good times and am glad I was a part of it. There is no one reason that it is not like that now. I think the biggest problem is over population......... Gary
Gary--back in the 80s there were probably 4-6 less sewage treatment plants spilling (accidently.....lol ) their waste into our tributaries and bay.......but rarely do you hear that they might be the blame.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I just moved from Venice FL. to Federalsburg MD. to be near my Daughter. Had it made. Lived about 15 minuets from the beach. I learned that they have a lot of flounder along the beaches and not many people know about it, or just don't know how to fish for them. I got good at catching beach flounder fishing standing on the beach. Also beach trout. Most people that come to FL. or live in FL. fish for snook, redfish. tarpon, and many other fish. Flounder is a by-catch for them. I target beach flounder. It is very boring fishing for most because you have to fish very slow along the bottom. If any of you guys ever go to FL. try along the gulf beaches for flounder. It's like fishing with all the work picked out. LOL! Take a break from boat fishing. View attachment 170714 View attachment 170722 View attachment 170730 View attachment 170738 View attachment 170746 View attachment 170754 View attachment 170762 View attachment 170770 View attachment 170778 Now I have to learn how to catch flounder on the beaches in Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes Delaware. View attachment 170786

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.