Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fished the channel into back river today. Hit it hard for the entire incoming tide with couple of friends only 3 through backs caught. Fished cut flounder belly, squid and minnows. What happened did you guys catch all the flounder or what? LOL :))

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Seems most of the reports for the week have read very similar to yours. I fished on 3 different occasions this week and the current was fairly weak on each outing. IMO that has a lot to do with it. The winds gonna pick up overnight and blow for a few days and hopefully things will improve after that. Time will tell. Thanks for the report and glad you managed a little pullage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had a day off from work and thought I'd give it a try around Ft. Monroe and the Hampton Bar. Faced a wicked NE wind on an out going tide and couldn't even leave the mouth of the James for the Bay. I ended up fishing the HRBT tunnel and the bar with only two fish in 4 four hours. One just barely made the limit so I at least had flounder for diner. I had about 6 dozen grade A primo minnows from my pier on Jones creek so the bait wasn't the issue. The water was a muddy green and 70 degrees on the surface. Even so, it was good to get out. It can only get better.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I went out in Back River today after work with BYRD and we only caught 1 16 in. throwback. Although we only made like 5 short drifts. Oh well maybe we'll have better luck next time.

Shayne

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Six throwbacks in 3 hours of fishing (Weds...1st and 2nd island), then only one 19" keeper on Thursday...fished all day and all over the place. Pathetic fishing...and yes, most of my bites were on pink but I did get right many bites and two catches on the jig on Weds (3 oz jig head, large gulp twister tail with a small squid strip)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have had the best luck with a bare hook ie no flounder rig just a hook on a 3 foot leader with long strip of squid and maybe a minnow. I used to use flounder rigs but after getting out fished 3 time by a buddy of mine with a bare rig i decided to save the money.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I personally have had the best results fishing Berkly jerk shads....flounder love them!...with that said I haven't tried flounder this spring yet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fished Friday around the HRBT Hampton side too ... the wind spooked me a bit as well ... tagged / released 9 smallish flounder in about 2 hours of fishing on the incoming tide from 10:30a - 12:30p.

·
Registered
16 Posts
been fishing the shallows at the hrbt all week and caught 26 yesterday evenin with a buddy alone. fishing 5 to 10 feet of water. nothing too big by any means, mostly between 14 and 17 inches, but did manage a couple keepers.... gulps

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Im sure a few fatties are hanging around there usually summertime homes. For me its when the water hits a steady 68 degrees.

Rudy Levasseur

1 - 14 of 14 Posts