Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am visiting in-laws in Corpus Christi for 2 weeks during this Chrismas Holiday and I am thinking about taking my fly rod with me to do some fishing.
I am wondering is there anybody on this board had done this before? Can anybody offer some information about this area? rod? line? fly? location?
It has to be wadable, I don't have access to a boat.
Any information is much appreciated!!!

Simon

·
Registered
999 Posts
Goto Jerry B's Kayaks

Kayak Rentals in Corpus Christi, Texas

and rent a kayak for $45. The guys that work there are fisherman and know the hot spots. They will deliver and pickup the kayak from the launch spot. They even gave me a ride from the kayak shop to launch spot.

We launched at the end of Carribean Dr into Laguna Madre last January

Caribbean Dr, Corpus Christi, Nueces, Texas 78418 - Google Maps

Unfortunately, I got skunked and one other guy only caught one trout. A cold front came through a couple days before we hit the water. But before the cold front they said they were catching trout and redfish in that area in mid January. You probably could also wade near the shoreline from the Carribbean Dr launch spot. But if you have a kayak you can paddle out to the islands and hop out and and wade fish near the islands.

Also, check out this site

Team Oso Hard Core Wade Fishing

and this book for other wading spots.
Wade and Kayak Fishing on the Coastal Bend of Texas

Let us know how you do. My parents have a house down there and I will be down there at the end of January early February and gonna give it a shot again. Hopefully, I will have better luck this year with the elusive redfish.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I did it about 12 years ago and hired a guide to run me around. He showed up with a blown and destroyed tire on the first day. We got many trout in the 5 lb. range on rattle bend back flies. Silver blue and red where the colors of choice that day. Second day we chased reds on rock jetties and rescued a man with a broken leg from the end of a jetty. Wind was turning the water milky white.. Red drum was not possible so I switched to spinning rod.

Later I showed the guide a silver buddy and the both of us caught dozens of trout on them. I enjoyed that trip most of all with the antique tackle shops and martini bars.

Capt Mike

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Definately talk to Jerry! If you want to wade fish check out the Pakery Flats, my favorite place is Shamrock Cove, but you need a yak or a boat for that. Another good guide in that area is Dean Thomas "Slowride Guide Services" he has boat and kayaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts