Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to fly fishing and have NO clue where to even begin this time of year. I bought my combo mainly for reds in the spring and striper in the fall but would love to get on the water and fish for something.

I have always thought there would be good fly fishing along some of the stops on the colonial parkway but once again, not too sure.

Right now I only have a 8wt rod to use.

~Jason

·
Registered
160 Posts
Jason,

If you have a boat or Kayak, you can take your outfit and fish for speckled trout in the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River (around the hot ditch--Dominion Power Plant warm water discharge). The river is holding Stripers (closed season), specks, and puppy drum. Work your flies slooowwwwly. Pink/chartreuse clousers and deceivers. I normally use a 6wt in there but who cares as long as you can deliver a fly with a tight loop and end up with a tight line. : )

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jason,

Welcome to the addiction. Agree with stopyra. Also, Virginia Coastal Fly Anglers is a good resource. I moved to the area last year and started fishing with those guys. Friendly bunch and full of knowledge. Good Luck.

Blake

·
Registered
160 Posts
You should be able to link up with someone from VCFA--they're generally more than willing to take out fellow club members when/if they go. Check ur bmail.

·
Registered
214 Posts
There are a few wading opportunities around but not too many. Second VCFA and they have a mentoring program check vcfa.org come to a meeting and say hello.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup. Ive been lurking on the site today. Just got home and will sign up and make it to the next meeting.

~Jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts