Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a pack to hold my fly boxes and gear. I need something that will hold three fly boxes, one or two spools of tippet. Any suggestions? I like the flexibility that lumbar and chest packs offer. Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have one of both (lumbar and Chest). FOr me, the chest is the way to go. Easier access and it gives me a bit more wading depth as well. Also, the one I use loops behind the nect with a place to attach a net on magnets.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the same, however, I'm looking at the chest packs as I normally wade up to my waist in the Rappahannock. Have been getting my vest drenched at the bottom. Hoping a chest pack will keep the stuff dry. Thinking of getting either a Fishpond Windwalker or William Joseph Current Magnetic chest pack. Looked at some other William Joseph models and seems like the plastic fittings where the neck straps attach tend to come loose. Wonder if anyone as any experiences, good or bad, with either of them?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, Fish pond looks like very good quality, I think I will try it out the next time I visit a fly shop.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've had three WJ packs. First one was like the one my buddy in the picture is wearing and thinks it's is the end all, be all pack. It would meet Steve00 requirement for deep wading. I never got used to it and busted my arse several times while rock hopping due to it flopping around. It was sold to buy a WJ fanny pack. Enough storage to take a couple of boxes and my lunch but not enough to make me take the kitchen sink. The fanny pack with a lanyard for tippet and nippers and day box in a shirt pocket was my favorite set up until I was given a WJ satchel (bandoleer look a like). Why do I like it so much? I have an extreme case of no arse-at-all and had to cinch the fanny pack in to way past comfortable so it would not fall around my ankles. The satchel is worn loosely and I slide it around front when I need something.

I also use the WJ stripping basket. It's used on the boat and when I'm wading.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I could not adjust my casting for the WJ above so it's hanging on a hook - no issue with neck, had to use several wire ties to secure tag ends on adjustment straps. Cast before you buy -

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have an Orvis sling pack and really like it, stores out of the way and has easy access plus works great with a stripping basket.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There are so many more choices now than when I bought my last one. I use a vest for trout, but use packs for stripers and smallies, where I carry less stuff.

I use an older Patagonia Hip Chest pack for saltwater wading. Here's the newer model: Patagonia Hip Chest Pack. I'm very pleased with it. Only complaint is that the zippers gunk up with salt (no big surprise). I use it most of the time as a fanny pack, but switch to chest when I get in deeper - a great feature.

I also use an older William Joseph fanny pack for smallies. It's made so that the pack detaches from the belt and can be used separately as a chest pack. Downfall is the pack to belt attachment uses a velcro strap that comes loose. This has been fixed in more recent offerings. Otherwise, I'm very pleased.

I have looked longingly at the FishPond offerings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Filson Chest pack. Only use it for fresh water. Has given me great service the past 3 years. Switched from a vest to the chest pack, which was a huge improvement. I have never used a waist pack or sling pack - so they may be an option as well. Chest pack has loads of space for all your gear/tackle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A couple years ago I switched from vests to chest packs, and I love them.

I also use a Fishpond Blue River pack for freshwater Fishpond USA - BLUE RIVER CHEST/LUMBAR PACK

The size is great for 2 fly boxes, tippet, tools, etc. I made a couple of modifications and it is exactly what I like for 30 min to a couple hours on the river. If I'm going out for more than a couple hours, I'll wear a fly vest because it doesn't make my back/neck as tired. Attaching the release net on the back definitely takes the weight off the neck. Balance is key with the chest pack.

For saltwater, I have a tiny orvis pack that can hold a small fly box, tippet, leaders, forceps, nippers and license in waterproof case.

IMHO I think the universal theorem of storage applies here. The bigger the pack, the more you will stuff into it...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the fishpond waterdance. Its a lumbar but I just sling it over my shoulder with the shoulder strap. Very comfortable and can carry a lot of stuff out of the way and high enough that it doesn't get wet wading in the deep stuff.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been using the Orvis sling pack for about 8 months and it's great. Not sure I would get one if you're a pack rat and like to take everything with you including the kitchen sink. If I'm going out all day I'll put three fly boxes, water bottle, lunch, light rain jacket, 4+ tippet rolls, camera, and too many small items to mention. The sling pack easily holds all of that comfortably. I really like it when I'm fishing in the mountains and have to do some bouldering and rock hopping in small brookie streams. It's out of the way and you can move it into any position you want easily. I won't go back to using a vest or chest pack. Downside- finding a place to attach your net. I added an extra D ring to solve that problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts