Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I actually wouldnt mind doing one, but then again Ive never fished in one, so I dont know how it is, saltfly might be well justified in that opinion, maybe theres a reason why there arnt a lot of them around?? haha

·
Registered
286 Posts
We have one here that is included in a bigger all tackle tournament, the "Striped Bass World Championship". It has a catch/photo/release division for fly anglers.
Cory Routh used to run a fly tournament that was catch/photo/release. I believe the yak participation response was much greater than any fly participation he had, so it's a yak tourny now. I believe it has a fly division still. I'm sure if you had any questions on starting one, he would be glad to help providing you some info on setting one up.
Any tourny that is just for bragging rights is fun and enjoyable. If money or big prizes get involved, it becomes a whole nother animal. I would say if you start one, make sure the focus is on fun, again the focus is on FUN and the social aspect of everyone having fun together. Throw in a worthy charrity to raise money for with tournament proceeds, and the Karma level bumps up a notch for everyone involved.
Later, Harry

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Harry hit on one of the reasons I dislike them. They are the opposite :yinyang: of what fly fishing is all about. They stand for compation, speed, rudness and most of all unsportman like attitudes, their is enought on that in every day life. Fly fishing stands for solitude, peace, quit, relaxsation and getting together with a few friends. You only had to watch the latested bass classic. One of those guys was disqualified for how he drove his boat. He was upset because he didn't think he did anything wrong. Their in lays the problem. What he did was normal to him. Indangering other people by how you handle a boat is not right. I have some friends in PA. That idualized a guide on the potomac. When they got their first chance to go their in DC to fish. They were hoping to run into him. well they did. They were fishing a peice of shore line when he pulled up in his boat. they were beside their selfs. Here was their hero coming right over to them. Then he start cussing them for fishing a shore line that he was counting on for the tournament he was in. Needless to say, he changed their mind about him and tournaments. That to me is not what fishing is about. they won't help any body. Fly fisherman help each other, infact we injoy it. You only have to look at how this board operates to see that. And that to me is what makes fly fishing what it is. A great sport with good people. But I will say this. take a tournament guy away from it, far away. And he maybe a really good guy. I have a number of good friends that fish them. away from them you would really like them. Put them in a tournament, and their worst side comes out. I don't like that at all.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The CCA fly tournament is a fantastic event. You don't really win anything. There is a donated rod...or a guide trip but that's it. The entry fee covers a nice shirt and hat plus beer and crabs for the day. I've fished it for three years and it is one of my favorite times. You see friends... people get a chance to learn, teach, and enjoy your day together.
I can't think of a better way to spend a day. I'd suggest that anyone in our area who hasn't done this should do it this year. You won't be disappointed and you'll start a network of friends that can't be beat.
As for another tournament.... oooff.. I know what goes into the KI CCA tournament. I'd rather be drug behind a car on a gravel road than get involved in organizing another event. That's the thing about stuff like this... most of the time, people won't help a lot...10% will do 90% of the work and then people will complain about the most ridiculous things you could ever imagine. I have seen it first hand.. plenty of times. Don't get me wrong. If you can find the right mix, it is worth it. But sometimes you want to just stand up and scream.
The things that tend to work better are the "fest" events. BeachFest, PaxFest, TieFest, ShadFest.... that is the trend. People want "free" and "instruction". Think that way and you'll probably get some great feedback.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
"They stand for compation, speed, rudness and most of all unsportman like attitudes, their is enought on that in every day life."

-Saltfly-

I have yet to meet that type of attitude in my 6+ years of running and competeting in tournaments. But again my tournaments are for charity and the big winners are the kids at Wish a Fish. All the competetors have fun, and I have yet to have a compaint. I invite you to be my guest at our next kayak fishing tournament on September 29th, 2007. And yes there is a Fly division.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey Cory, I think Walt may have been referring to BASS-like tourneys where the fishermen wear helmets to get to their fishing grounds.

I've got to say I've seen it first hand as well. I was out with a group of people on a trib to the Potomac one day and there happened to be a BASS tourney going on out of Smallwood State Park. This dude in a sparkly bass boat came tearing around the corner of this little tidal trib and cut our group in half. He never slowed down. He was wearing a helmet (not sure why) but I think we were the ones that needed the helmets.

Luckily I heard him coming and saw his rooster tail over the marsh grasses and got the group to split up and head towards the edges of the creek. Otherwise, I don't know what might have happened.

I don't think the issue is that the guy was a bass fisherman. I think the issue was he was in a tournament with money (not sure how much) on the line. Who knows, maybe if the top prize in the tourney was a pack of plastic worms he still would have been driving his boat like no one else had the right to be on "his" river, but I doubt it b/c he probably wouldn't have been in a tourney that was just for fun.

Like you said, if the tourney is about fun and learning and hanging out with like-minded fishers, I think they're great. Throw in the money factor and you end up luring the kind of people that could care less about the afforementioned attributes.

David

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
cory dav has it right. tournaments for charity are alot different. people come to those for other reasons. Add the money part where you stand to make alot of it and people change.
I was fishing the tock one day. Their was a group of canoes coming down river from the state park. I slowed down to no wake 50 yards down tide of them. and moved toward them very slow. This guy in a big bass boat with a 200 on it came blasting right up river doing at least 50 to 60 miles an hour. he went right between them and almost upset a number of them. I moved up and passed them way over to one side. they thanked me for doing so. I apologize to them for the other guys actions. they said it happens all the time with those tournament types. How did they know he was fishing a tournament? Just by his actions. I saw him up river and told him what he almost did. I was told to mind my oun bis. he was fishing a tournament and couldn't wast time on them or me. I just shock my head and went on. You hear story after story of them doing things like I have discribed. So I have no us for them. your type are fine, as I said its for a different reason. so it attracts a different type of person. I also will not change my mind about them or apologize for how i feel about them. they are bad for fishing.

TF please don't take any of this personal. I know you were just asking a inocent question.

all so cory thanks you for your kind invite. but I really don't fish any tournaments. I fish just because I love it. I don't want that to change. but i would like to fish some time with you when you have the time and bring my son in law. I don't know if you remember me telling you that you and him went to the same college around the same time. I think he finished up a year before you did.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Any time, just let me know! I agree about the BASS tourneys, just look at Iciaonelli's actions during th classic. I doubt that kayak fishing will ever get to that level of competition.

GO ECU!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'll miss the Kent Narrows Tourney this year (I'll be fishing the Keys ;-) ) But part of me wants to be there. It's a great time and a great event with great people. If you're around you should make every effort to be there. It's a great group of people.

-This post brought to you by the word "GREAT":D

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Hey Walt check this out. I was talking to a couple of guides at a boat show in Ft Myers a couple of weeks ago. Just so happens that they were complaining about the amount of redfish tourneys they got in the Harbor, I mean every weekend someone's got a tournament. It's so bad that the fish are getting lock jaw on artificials, of course live white bait works. Theyve got stuff like Oh Boy Alberto, Flatsmasters, thats on ESPN, OLN.

Anyway just so happens that I talked to the CCA director in SW Fl today, and guess what our discussion was about, redfish tournaments. They are actually planning to introduce legislation to get no motor zones(pole, elect only) on the flats, and east/west walls of the harbor to help the cause, hope it works. Anyway, I still really like the rod I won at the KI CCA event, which I thought was well done, of course the crabs were the best part.:D
Also just ordered a 22 ft Shearwater with all the bells & whistles, will be in time for tarpon season.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Hey Frank gade to hear about the new boat. injoy it.

yea that is a problem. their are tournaments for just about every thing today. crappie, walleye, bass, redfish stripers. you name it and they will form a tournament. well their not going to like what I'm saying. tournaments are no different then commercial fishing. Its soul perpose is to make money. So is commercial harvest. Not all release their catch. all the tournaments on the east coast for stripers kill their fish. Doesn't something seem wrong with that? How can we ask for them to be turned into a sportfish. and then let tournament guys kill them for money. wouldn't that be twofaced. I can only say I'm glad i'm getting old. I figure like norm;-) i've got just a few more years on this earth. My life is mostlly over. Dam I'm glad I won't be around to see nothing but tournament fishing. I only hope my grand kids get to fish for the fun of it before it all turns. i've never seen a tournament guy stop to look at the bank side flowers or look at a bird in a tree. My grand kids will learn to do that. I just hope they won't get run over by a tournament guy while they look.

This is for cory. chairty tournaments excluded. I'll teach them to respect those.:yes: :D

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Hopefully Courtney and I will come see you this year Frank. Good luck.
Hey Jon
Come on down with Courtney and bring the little one, can play with my granddaughter.

Hey Walt I said the same thing to the CCA official, it seems when they referendumed nets out in the early 90s they kinda traded one user group for another, of course that was tongue and cheek. What gets me is the money it takes to enter these tourneys. I mean you got $500 a man entry and 300 boats fighting over 20K its nuts, but it seems everyone wants to be on TV. Maybe you me and Norm ought to get some lawn chairs, sit at the ramp, with a 6 pack and just tell fishing stories.:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts