Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I hope the conditions improve by next Friday. I've been waiting for my trip with Capt Pete for some time, but I'm not sure what this front is going to do to the conditions?
I've been tying up a bunch of flies, bought a second spool, a new line and now I'm not certain the conditions are going to be good for the fly. How long should I continue to fly fish before I switch over to my spinning outfit (if I must )? I would prefer to only flyfish, but I am not shy about doing whatever it takes to catch a nice fish.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You are better off using the spinning rod first until you find some willing fish. Keep your fly rod rigged up ready to go. The fly bite has been slow so far. The guys that insist on starting out with fly rods are sometimes worn out from casting before the fish start eating. Make sure you have your rod rigged with a 350 sinking line to start off. Haven't seen much shallow water action yet. Water temp has stayed right around 50 or less. Won't see good top water bite unless it warms up some.
Mudshark

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Depends,

On a bad day you may only get one shot at a good fish. What rod do you want in your hand when it happens?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I keep an extra rod rigged while fly fishing. For me generaly a bait-caster, Lead head jig mostly.

Some people call it a "Crutch" What I find is if you are not on the water all day everyday you loose touch with were the fish are holding. In my Boat it's hard to keep two fly rods going at the same time. One shallow and one deep is what you need while searching. The jig lets me probe deep and in a different direction then the fly angler. When we find fish it's almost always back to fly fishing.

Of course wind and bad conditons are another thing, When it blows you are always better off to put the long one away.

Boats

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
This is just how I fish... I haven't taken a spinning rod with me in years. The only drawback is that it gets hard to fish beyond 40 feet. Not much of a drawback though... most fish I am targeting aren't down that deep. You certainly won't be in that water on the flats. Wind is no big deal... 22 knots is the limit. My casts falls apart at 22 knots... I don't want to be on the bay then anyway so that doesn't matter either.
I'd sling bait for a 40+ inch red at the cbbt.. That's fun.. but otherwise I am a fly fisherman. Seems like you are pretty excited about this flats trip.... I don't think it'll recover in time though. Friday is only 5 days away and this storm is going to dump incredible amounts of rain in PA. Doesn't look good but you never know.
Anyway... any fish that is caught on a lure on the flats, could have been caught by a fly. Just a thought. I did okay on the flats yesterday. No big fish but a decent amount of dinks... all on the fly.. No one was really catching though. So, the 10 or so that I caught was okay for a sub par day.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Time - You'll also find days where the only thing they'll take is a fly. You'll know when this day is upon you when other fishermen come by to chat and start asking about a fly rod!

That's a good thing.

When working new shallows, we like to start out with plugs to cover a lot more area. "Prospectors" like SkitterPops, SkitterWalks, Spooks or even Crystal Minnows for a little depth. You can chuck 'em 3 times further and figure out how the fish are laying to structure on that day. Then position yourself with the fly rod.

And you'll always get a cleaner strike on the fly.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Right now i'm wondering how much of this rain we are getting down here is hiting Pa. We all ready have had 3 inches and its still coming down. It started out of the south and now has switched around and is coming from the north east. What they call a noreaster.I know if it doesn't stop soon. I'll be loading as much in the boat as I can, except the squirrels that are out there. There are seven of them setting on the rocking chairs on the front porch. Not really what I intened for the porch and those chairs to be used for. If their getting half of this rain. The flats will be a mass for a week. Then you better stick with that other thing.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
This rain really hurts, it feels like a hard kick the groin. What to do to find clearer water? Well, for starters the mud will hit the flats first but might take a little while to get there. IF this wind every stopped it might be decent now but with all this wind, the flats will be muck for a couple days and by that time the real mud will have got there.

However, according to Walleye Pete and crew, the fishing was very good before the rain so the fish are there.

I'm thinking about heading further south to look for fish. Maybe paxfish's territory for next weekend. Ebay maybe..... I've done really well years past on one inch piece of bloodworm in three feet of water just north of the pax, south of CCNPP. If those fish are in there shallow, maybe the fly rod will work. Time to take out the 14' double handed rod and have at it.

As for a fly rod and spinning, I like the comment about which rod would you prefer to have in your hand when they come a calling. I like to search with a spinning and replace it with a fly when the bite is hot. If the water temp gets to the mid 50's, top water should be on. If it's over cast, try top water all day. Sometimes they will miss your plug but a well placed fly will do the trick stripped just under the surface near the top water misses.

Good luck out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.