Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys (and gals if there are any)
I know several of you in here fly fish so here goes.

I'm not a fly fisherman by any means but I've put together a rig and I'm not even sure what I've got here. Everything was given to me as a gift, one piece at a time. I know I've got a pretty basic setup but I'm just not sure what it's capable of catching besides my earlobe!

The rig is:
9' 8/9 WT Scientific Angler Rod with Marado Basis-F G89 loaded with ,I think, 9 WT floating line?

From a quick glance around the internet it appears I have a rig for catching larger fish. More info would be great though.

Thanks.
Brian

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Sounds like you got a 9-weight outfit. Perfect for the Bay. It is a good rod to start with. Now all you need is some casting lessons.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cory. I had a crash course from a guide in western NC while trout fishing and since then I've practiced in my yard a few times. It's not pretty but I can get it out there sometimes. Accuracy is another story. Have to work on that!

I was kinda hoping to could use my rig on the freshwater lakes also. Do you think I could manage to catch some bluegills with it too?
----------------------

Anyone willing to show me some casting tips and good flies for the rivers, inlets and bay, just b-mail me.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Sure you can, there is no rule saying you cant use a 9-weight in the sweet water. It may be a littl weird with smallr flies, but it will work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I will be fly fishing either Lynnhaven or Rudee Sun AM.
if you want to meet up I can bring both freash and salt flies and we can chat.

Jay

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
240 Posts
I'd be looking carefully at the line. If it is a level or double taper line instead of a weight forward line, you'll have a tough time heaving some of the flies you'll need for salt water.
That may be contributing to your "not so pretty" practice casts.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Double Haul. I suspect that I have double tapered but I'm not for certain.
It makes sense that a weight forward line would probably let one cast further and with more control.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
240 Posts
You may also want to contact the Virginia Coastal Fly Anglers down there. Seemed to be a pretty good group of guys.

Here's the web site : http://www.vcfa.org/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts