Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday was nasty in the morning! Three generations aboard, my grandfather, my dad, my brother and I. The game plan was to troll around Cape Charles, but that idea usually degenerates into running around looking for birds. The south winds made it too bad to run south (80 year olds don't like bumps) so we went straight across to the bottom end of the cut channel. We marked tons of fish at 60 feet, so the mojos and stretches went out and the fly rod stayed in the gunnel, but I knew I'd get my chance. Heard a lot on the radio about Windmill point, so we headed over there and trolled some more with no results. I beg to head south near Wolf Trap, and because the wind had mostly laid down, we did. We found a big flock of birds and a massive school of stripers all too ourselves. My dad, grandfather and brother tended the trolling rods in the back while I cast up at the front. I caught my biggest striper on a fly so far- 26". It was the biggest one caught that day, the rest ran from 20-26". I still don't understand the appeal of a broomstick with a winch attached to it. I wish I could convert them!

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Very nice! Next time bring some light tackle casting and spinning rods and when you see the birds, kill the motor and drift into and with the school of fish and have everyone else cast, jig and reel in their offerings. They should enjoy that far more than trolling and that way you can fly fish easier. Plus you're not fighting the boat. ONce they see you hook up just as often, they might convert.

When the fish are subsurface and not on the bottom, the fly rod has the advantage I've seen. On more than one occassion at the CBBT I've started with a spinning rod when there were birds over 50 or more feet of water. The fish were scattered as we had marks all over the place but not really clustered. It took me a few casts to hook up when the other guys with fly rods were already tight. So I switched but having three or four guys in a 22'cc all fly fishing is a little tricky but it can be done. You'll have to do a cast and switch rotation around the bow. The guy in the bow is casting. Once the line is out and on the water the bow guy walks towards the helm than the guy at the helm moves to the back to finish his cast. When the guy in the stern is finished his cast, he goes back to the front, with stripping basket, trash can whatever.

Okay, I need to go fishing because I just wrote too much but I can't help it. This hunting thing isn't nearly as fun. Although, I get the same feeling with a bow in a tree as I do when stalking a rising trout on a spring creek. And this bow hunting thing only started for me this year.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Wolf trap was on yesterday as well. Fish were scattered between there and the hump. Biggest I pulled up with a fly was 32", but all that were caught were fattys. Had most of the area to myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts