Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was hot and sunny today in Germany, off course here in the Netherlands as well.
The stream is once again a little lower and the fishing has become trickier.

The last trout have evaporated = cleaned out so the first appearing mayflies are save from them.
Maybe the Roach will have a go at the mayflies if all the blossomcrap is off the water which might take some weeks.

At least the Roach and Dace cooperated today and I got my personal best Roach on that one fly
which I saved from a tree on my recent Mohne river trip.
Still have not copied that pattern but I got pics.
Next week I will head to a real troutwater, the trip to the Harz mountains in
what used to be the German Democratic Republic is starting May 12th.
Hopefully the Cormorants have left us some fish, we will see.

·
Registered
738 Posts
That last roach is a pretty nice fish. Are roach in the minnow family? We have fish called fallfish in streams in the northeast. They are one of the larger fish in the minnow family. Most consider them a trash fish, but fallfish have saved many a day for me while trout or bass fishing. They get up to 15 inches on the larger streams and will take a dry fly readily. (I've added a photo of a fallfish I caught last summer on a large dryfly.)

Also, what kind of mayfly was hatching in those photos? Anything rising for them?

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roach are in the Carp family, there are several species around but not
many that feed on the surface.
Where I am fishing only the Chub and Dace feed often on top.
The other species are Ide and Rudd that readily take dries but I have not
seen much of them in the areas where I fish.

The mayfly could have been an Ephemera danica, I think here in the lowlands we just
have one other species around.
Nothing going after them right now, it has just started so I expect something to happen
soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts