Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I fished the ponds of the local University with a friend who happens to be member in the fishing club at the University.
These waters are normally off limits for us mere mortals but members of the University club can take guestanglers with them.

My friend was targetting the pike in the ponds while I was busy in search of the resident perch.
After an hour fruitless fishing we arrived at the perch pond.
The stone walls yielded no fish so I went on to search the reed shore for live.
After a while I got a hit on the small orange zonker I fished.
It was not a perch though but a decent pike that had grabbed the fly.
The pike had an overbite which I noticed to late...

There was quite some activity of Roach and Rudd in the ponds.
Quite surprising due to the fact that it rained all day.
My friend had two hits of pike on his streamer.
The last fish was quite large but slipped of the hook to the regret of my friend.

No Perch today but I will not complain about the pike.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Nice Pike, Marcel !! Hope your weather improves soon. I thought our weather was getting better, but we received 3 inches of wet snow today.

What flies might work on Roach & Rudd ? Small nymphs ?

JM3

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To bad about the weather, I guess not much is going on in your neck of the
woods right now.
Maybe a great time to be tying flies and think about spring and summertime.

I think nymphs might work on the shiners.
All ponds on the Campus are different.
Some ponds are spring fed and completely brown colored due to high iron
content. Other ponds boast clear water.
When the temperatures get really spring like we will give the clear ponds a go
with nymphs.
The fish where so active today I was almost tempted to fish with a small dry.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Hey marcel as all ways, its good to see your reports and pictures.:D I'm also glade to see some one is getting to fish.:fishing2: I did check out a few ponds on the way to the tyfest. The ice is gone. So it won't be long before I'm giving them a try. Like you were already told. they had wet snow on the western shore and some on the eastern shore. but here on the coast, we had rain mixed with ice and later a little snow. As I'm sitting here typing this. Its raining to beat the band. Or to put it another way. THE DAM SKY HAS OPENED UP. :censored: I'm sick of the rain right now. but when summer gets here. I will be glad for all the rain we are having now. The ponds will be in great shape.:clap: I'll most likelly be fishing for pickeral. A baby cousin of your pike. WE will be getting white perch here soon in the creeks that run into the rivers that run into the bays. I mite give them a try this year. If I knew how to get them to you. I would like for you to try a couple of flies that work very well for me over here on the pickeral. I would love to see how well they would work on your pike. well got to get. bwahahaha looking forward to you next post.:rockingreport:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Marcel,

Enjoyed the report and nice fish. While I caught pickerel on flies while I lived in Maryland I have yet to catch a northern pike. I'm looking forward to giving that a try here in Colorado. From what I have read, a number of reservoirs have good pike populations that become active as the ice leaves the lakes in early spring.

Guy

·
Registered
506 Posts
Spilunkr, look for shallow coves where the wind is pushing water (warmed by the sun)
into them. The pike will lay-up there to catch some rays shortly after "ice out". Best in
late afternoon. My cousin uses a 9 wt with int. line and 2/0 half-n-halfs (olive/white) or
red/white sea-ducers.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Hey guy you should have fished conawingo and the susky below the dam. I've caught pike in the lake as well as musky. in the river below. I've caught musky and tiger musky. Years ago I caught a pike like fish which I was later told was a grass pike or green pike. I can't remember. It was small, only about 12 inchs. I thought it was different. so when I checked with DNR. Thats what they said it was. They also said they where becoming rare in the lake but their were still a few there. This was back in the early 60's. Never caught another one sence.

·
Registered
764 Posts
J,
Thanks for the tip. From what I have been told, they will also cruise along the edge of the ice as it first starts to melt.

Walt,
In addition to pickerel, I have caught a couple of small tiger muskies, one in Seneca Lake and one in the Potomac up by Dam #4. But neither were very big at about 18" and 22" respectively. They were fun fish, but I'm looking forward to their big "uncle".

Guy

·
Registered
506 Posts
Walt, a 12 inch Grass Pickerel is a big one ... they usually mature at 7 to 10 inches. They
are cute little killers though.

Guy, I also hooked a 18" Tiger below Dam# 4 ... but he spit steel before I could bring him to hand. Still an open slot on my fly-caught species list.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Well J I had never seen one. Didn't know what it was. But when I told the DNR guy what it looked like. He told me. It was a first and a last for me. And you have to remember it was the 60's. You mean to tell me I let a fly rod recorded go? ;) :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts