Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can usually get on board with sensible progress but I find this to be a disgrace for this specific location. County politicians seem to have sold out for the money. I have to fight to take down a single rotten tree in the Resource Protection Area of my property and these guys are looking at mass destruction of important eagle habitat and who knows how much shoreline. Hopefully, as many do, this project will fail before they can break ground:

WARSAW - The Richmond County Board of Supervisors today approved a request to rezone land for a $330 million luxury resort at Fones Cliffs, one of the most important bald eagle gathering spots in the eastern U.S. The land's owner, Diatomite Corporation of America, asked the board to rezone the Rappahannock River property, which is mostly trees, from agricultural to a mixed-use designation.

Diatomite plans to build a 976-acre resort that includes a 116-room lodge, more than 700 homes, seven piers, a golf course, a horse center and a vineyard. The project would be called Fones Cliffs Resort and Spa.Richmond lawyer Robert Coleman Smith, who represents Diatomite, says the project will generate tax money for the rural Northern Neck county of 9,200, create jobs and protect the environment.The cliffs, which tower up to 150 feet above the river, are a magnet for thousands of bald eagles.

The project would generate so many people on the land and boaters in the river that the disturbance would force most of the birds to move elsewhere, according to Bryan Watts, an eagle expert with Virginia Commonwealth University and the College of William and Mary.

Other opponents say the project could pollute the river and erode the cliffs. Some locals say traffic would overburden rural roads. The board's action today, on a 4-1 vote, puts the project into a process that allows the supervisors to approve, after more hearings over many years, specific plans for the resort's phases.

The supervisors met today in their board room in Warsaw, about 52 miles northeast of the city of Richmond.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yep $$$$

Sad

I moved to this area after watching the area I grew up in "grow".

The only thing this "growth" did was create traffic, a high cost of living, a cluttered landscape full of cookie cutter houses and many commercial properties that used to be residential or forest. Many of which are now vacant because once the big box folks see opportunity they move in and run all the mom and pop's out.
What used to be a pleasant weekend drive to the movies or dinner on a two lane road has turned into a traffic jam on a 4 lane expressway.

Did I mention the crime rate?

I feel sorry for the folks over there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I did just like you Mikey. Spent my first 50 years in NJ. Watched a lovely area become a hell hole, one of the most densely populated areas of the country. I spent many hours fighting at town commissioners' meetings against their greed and crooked dealings as they ruined the area, bending over for developers and ignoring zoning ordinances by the dozens. I moved to PA and bought a lovely home on 5 wooded acres in an area zoned as rural. Before I knew it the same **** was happening and I was going to meetings and fighting against the destruction of the area. Once again they changed zoning regs and gave the ok for thousands of homes in place of farmlands. To think that the same **** will now be happening here just breaks my heart. I hope the local residents are steadfast and successful in their fight against it. But I know from experience that they better get organized fast and you can't miss a meeting. If the local residents have any hopes of putting a stop to it they better come on like gang busters and have lots of environmental experts in their corner from the start. Even find a species that inhabits that area that is on an endangered list. In PA the council did some pretty underhanded things. They even tried things like having votes on the projects but conveniently leaving the matter off the advertised agenda so residents wouldn't even know the projects were going to be voted on.
And never underestimate the power of money ~

·
Registered
679 Posts
From local government to the White House, the lure of big money breeds corruption and bad judgement. The best thing about both sides of the Rapp and other rivers that feed the bay is the lack of these type of establishments, the quiet and quaintness of the shoreline, along with the beauty of all of the natural areas. Add to that the lack of traffic compared to the oceanfront beaches, these are the reasons most people fall in love with these places to begin with.
I live 25 miles west of Richmond in Powhatan, and have seen all of the growth here run the smaller businesses out and raise property taxes to almost twice of our neighboring counties in the 15 years we've been here. Jobs have been created, with Wal-Mart, a 2nd Food Lion and numerous restaurants and fast food places having opened up. The convenience of not having to drive into town is nice sometimes, I have to admit, but you start losing the small town country feel of the place. Rush hour traffic sucks on rt 60, the main artery through or county from Richmond.
I hope something is done for the eagle's sake. It's truly amazing that you could be prosecuted for killing a buzzard that is destroying property and small livestock, but money can bulldoze an endangered species and symbol of our country's strength's habitat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts