Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To maximize your investment, I would say yes you do especially the first few years, but then again this is my first time and all my info is based on info/due dilligance not experreince??

I don't want them to choke out and compete (nutrients/water) with the other plants. I'm planting a combo or austrian winter peas, buckwheat, two types of clover, rape, khale, beets and wheat.

The seed bed I'm trying to prep was previossly over run with small saplings and 3' tall weeds and other grasses. I've sprayed GLY-4 on Saturday and am currently waiting for that to take. I'll be discing this weekend. But again my question is that since I'm disturbuinbg the seed bed/ground any seeds that may have been lying dormant or weren't getting enough moisture/rain prior to being disturbed......will they germinate NOW? and if so on average what could I except as a ratio betweeen weeds/ desired pants germinating? Ideally I'd like to disc it now, disc it again in 3 weeks then spray/plant, but I'm running out of time. In the spring I will do a more proper seed bed preperation but just for this fall I want to know if I don't spray pre-emergant what's gonna happen??

Oh yah, I'm also planning on putting down several hundred lbs of lyme.

THANKS,

Anthony

·
Registered
128 Posts
They will grow, but hopefully if you establish your plot with desired species, they will out compete the undesirables. All will be nice and tender for this fall though. Doubt you are going to have a full lush crop right off the bat, but I think those tender little shoots will be just as appetizing if not more that a fully mature plant.

·
Registered
471 Posts
There are two chemcials that can be used on food plots to kill broadleafs and grasses. Arrest and Slay can be sprayed over top post emergence and not kill the food plot. The weeds have a tendency to grow taller than the forage. Deer do not like to stick their heads down into taller weeds to feed on the forage, so therefor controlling the weeds are essential. The first heavy frost will kill weeds too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I sprayed roundup first then disk the feild three times this spring. planted plot and have not sprayed all summer. but i have had to cut it five times.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have experimented with food plots for many years and if you are in a heavily farmed area I dont think that the critters are attracted to a food plot in an area with abundant ag crops. Because I cannot get the deer out of our soybeans......

As far as deer go......clover and soybeans would make a perfect combo.......add other seed producing plants for birds. Iam currently trying to get alfalpha to take on our sandy plot.

You definately have a background on the major issues....my major one is weed competition from Burmuda grass...and it always wins.

If money is not an issue then spraying is the answer.......just like a farmer would do.....when yeild must be maximized.

My problem is Iam still search for a very cheap used planter and so I broadcast and then disc in my seed......which as you stated causes weed seed germination.......but I have cost limitations especially when I know that they love the beans in our other fields.

All we need now is Round-up ready food plots.

Mark

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANKS GUYS.

the two types of herbicide stated were Arrest and Slay, these will not damage the previossly stated foods I plan to plant CORRECT? I've been told Prowl is a good pre-emergant to spray, I plan on that for the spring, THOUGHTS?
I'm gonna disc this weekend and plant just prior to the next rain we get. I'll disc/spray more properly in the spring. I've been taking pictures so I will try to get someone with a scanner to post them.

I agree the younger tender shoots are more palatable to the deer. First frost is usually the begining of Oct., so we'll see how it goes.

No doubt deer love beans, and if they've been customaraly feeding ont ehm for years you'll be hard pressed to keep them off the beans no matter how many(or how big) plots you put in. This will be the first year no crops have been planted, so the deer should come a running to the food plots I hope.

I'm planning on putting in 3 differant small plots, about 1500 sq feet each. I'll have a total of about $100 invested. Thanks again.

Anthony

·
Registered
471 Posts
Roundup ready food plots would be very helpful, however instead of paying $49 for 9lbs of biologic we would probably pay $75. Right now I am pulling the weeds out of my food plot, probably will take a week or so pulling for a couple hours a day.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
'Riser,

Go to your local feed/grain store (ie. Southern States) and they can mix you up EXACTLY the same stuff. Now I know that the guys at Mossy Oak, Whitetail Institute ect, ect say they've genetically engeniered a special this and that but I'm not so sure if it's worht the $$. Try planting a soemm of both and see what works better or if there is a noticable differance between the Gucci seed and the regular stuff? Just a thought.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have thought about doing that, my brother has told me the same thing, I do like experimenting with different types of food plots. I have no problem picking up roundup ready beans, since my uncle farms and I am also farming some myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts