Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
it's not too late if you can water it consistantly. Otherwise, wait until september. If you are going to herbiside first, allow 6 weeks before planting. I wouldn't risk a planting now, no telling what the rest of the summer is capable of. Almost everything you want to plant should be able to be planted in the early fall. Plus, every thing will be nice and succulant come hunting season. If it is a spring species, next year.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
id like to plant something thats would be good for early archery season. i have a piece of property thats an 16 acre field that deer cross every day but id like to get them to stop on it for a while so i could get a shot. im hunting out of a ground blind on it. did well there last year in muzzleloader and rifle.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am uphere in Wisconsin right now on business in the middle of dairy land. These guys up here plant alot of alfalfa and oats. They say the deer meat is alot less gamey, it taste alot like beef. I dont know when alfalfa can be planted to become established so the deer can feed off of it, but I do know I am gonna try some next year.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Plant soybeans.Farmers are planting them in the cut wheat fields now.
I have some plots I planted a month ago and after this rain from tropical storm Cindy,they are growing good.I made my own mix of sunflower,sorgum,soybean,buckwheat and blackeyed peas.The soybean got eaten right away but now the buckwheat has the field white with flowers and the blackeyed peas are going crazy.The sunflowers will be flowering before long also and the sorgum isn't far behind.[grin]

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Sea-Ya, that is quite an interesting mixture. Should you choose to bush-hog some of that stuff, say...the last week of August, I just wanted you to know that I bring refreshments and pick up all my spent hulls!!!![wink]

Got to see your boat a week or so ago. Turning off of Centrailia. Very nice! That would make a heck of a catfishing boat!

Dayton

·
Registered
780 Posts
After I bush-hog some of it I'm going to let it stay quite so I won't run that big one away.A few more showers and it'll really be right.

Yep,it would make a hell of a catfish rig but I'm going after the flounder a few days next week and if I can't find any I'll be headed to the blue waters offshore in search of dolphin and maybe a shot at a white marlin.[grin][excited]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sea-Ya, Thanks for all your hard work on the food plot, I'll let ya know how it effects horn growth when I scarf the big one from ya. [grin]

You're lucky I have a baby due in Oct. This year I'll give you a break, but you better look out next year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Big Cat, Just got off the phone with one the guys I hunt with who happens to do concrete work in the Williamsburg area where we both live, he says United Rental, Taylor, Neff, any of those do all varieties of equipment. The big question is what are you clearing, large timber & stumps or small thick pines? That will determine your need and what size. If you have large stuff it may be easier to hire an excavating company to clear it. That is what he did if you need that contact I can get it as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You are going to make a pretty good mess of things if you use a skid steer (tires), unless you know what you are doing. It takes a good bit of traction for a skid streer to push rooted small trees. It can be done though. I would recomend asking for a tracked skid steer, also make sure you get a bucket with teeth. A skid steer is going to rent at about $250/ day, $800/ week. If you have duck hunting opportunities, I know a good opperator[grin]. Bamil me with the specifics, length width, any photos?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.