Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropping an anchor is always a slight gamble - some areas are snaggy. Charts help you avoid known hangs like cable crossings and wrecks. Some fishing reefs can be anchor grabbers. There is often odd debri or new wrecks not on charts.

Take time to wire the shackle pin. Each year 3-4 people call me to find anchors lost due to pin backing out. Zip tie works OK but SS wire is better. Inspect chain / rode splice or connection as well.

I do a lot of diving in the bay and often bump into stuff. Pieces of steel and concrete casings are often near bay bridge - dropped over years ago by accident or by lazy workers.

Even lost crab pots ( ghost pots ) 3/4 buried in sand can hang an anchor. Made with 3/8 rebar - no way to get anchor freed.

Take time to look at area with fish finder before dropping anchor - some times you'll spot possible snags. Look at chart or GPS to see if near cable crossings. Many are abandoned but still there to get your anchor stuck on. Podickery Point has one that I dive often. Although on charts - each year anchors are lost to it.

If you do snag your anchor - couple options. 1st - try motoring to other side while playing out rode ( line ). Sometimes pulling from opposite angle will free it.

Getting right over it and cleating it can also pull it free - but be easy on throttle. You can pull bow down.

If it will not come free - you can coil rode up and leave 5-10 feet of slack - then put jug on it as marker. Then call me - might be able to go after it.

If you do have to cut rode - record GPS numbers and direction you anchored. This ups the odds of me finding it.

Never hurts to engrave a cell number on anchor. Most guys who find stuff try to get it back to owner.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Have you recovered anchors that were rigged with "break away" configurations that did not work as expected?

Glad there are men like you always willing to help others.

For those that may not be familiar with the different methods of doing this. Google, Break away anchor, open the link associated with the one(s) you think look interesting or similar to your anchor.

Yes, an anchor ball could be used also.

More info:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/201371-need-help-set-up-anchor.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/180164-breakaway-anchor-rig-pics.html

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the good advice! I fell victim to the Podickory cables last year, but thanks to Skip, I was able to recover my anchor. I am using the breakaway setup now and it has been working great.

Not to hijack thread, but I went out on Sunday and anchored at Podickory, just north of the cables near Craighill buoy #1, and had the hardest time getting my anchor to grab. I have a proper rode with about 8 feet of chain and just could not get the anchor to grab. It just kept hopping across the bottom. Is that a notoriously bad area to get an anchor to grab or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Quote"If you do snag your anchor - couple options. 1st - try motoring to other side while playing out rode ( line ). Sometimes pulling from opposite angle will free it"

This definitely works. I have recovered two anchors that I snagged while fishing. One was near the bridge and almost brand new. It still had the West Marine sticker on it. I snagged the line and pulled up the anchor with almost no effort. It came right off.

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
240 - I have gotten 1-2 anchors rigged break away style - but that was due to chain being wrapped around some steel on a wreck.

CMP - The area off Podickery has a hard sand bottom - strong currents keep it that way. It can be tough to anchor with a danforth - especially if going from shallow to deep. The flukes tend to glide along " down hill ". Most guys use 10-20 feet of chain to help anchors get a good bite. Long length of chain also cushions boat wakes. Nothing worse than being set up perfect - then a big wake pops anchor free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts