Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hunting in an area where you are allowed to use a rifle during deer firearms season. I haven't been deer hunting in probably 10 years or so but am thinking about getting back into it. I would like to hear some feedback on different rifles used and the pros and cons of using a rifle vs. shotgun.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
good all around calibers 30-06 or 270 . I shoot a few different rounds from 243 , 6mm , 25-06 , 270 , 30-06 , 308 & 300 win mag . goodluck and good hunting .

·
Registered
31 Posts
30/06 for me, although ammo selection is extremely important. I have found that Remington Accu-Tip has been great for whitetails. My son uses a .243 and the both of us haven't had a deer run further than 20 yds in the past 7 years. The ballistic bullet expands and does it job remarkably well.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
.270 is one of the best all around along with the 30-06, 7 MM Rem Mag and if you really want a kill all gun, the .308, choice of snipers. Alot of it is range based. If your lkooking at 200-250 yards the .270 and -06 easily fit the bill. If you're talking more open 300-400 then the 7MM or the 308 woudl be better.

Savage is probably making one of the best priced and accurate guns out of the box especially with the advent of their Accu-Trigger system.

If you want a gun that is getting RAVE reviews and can handle both shotgun duty and "short" range rifle duty, please look at the Savage 220F slug gun. It is a 20 gauge slug gun that is an easy 150 Yard shooter and in the right hands, a stable rest and the right scope (Nikon Slug Hunter) it is very capable of killing at 200 Yds. The Slugs out of it pack more energy at 200 yards than a .41 Mag does at 50. Because it's only a 20 guage the recoil is lighter and it can generate 12 guage velocity but pushes a much light projectile, hence the peformance. Just do a Google search for Savage 220F Reviews. It will be the next gun I buy and maybe 2 of them. One for me and one for my son.

Chris

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
If you want a really good shotgun, purchase a Browning A Bolt. This gun was made in the early 90's and then discontinued due to poor sales because of cheaper bolt action guns. Browning brought the gun back into production and it is selling for about $1100.00. Before it was re introduced, you could not but a used one for less than $1500.00. I have had mine for nearly 20 years and love it. I have a 2X7 Leupold shotgun scope on it. They have had problems with shell ejection with the Savages but they have a great trigger and are very accurate. You just have to have a hard deliberate ejection of the bolt. You can't try to be quiet and sneak one in.

My deer rifle is a Rem. mod. 700 7MM Rem mag and I shoot a Rem 700 Sendero 7MM Ultra Mag for out west and distance shooting.............Gary

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
seems like the Remington 7mm is the choice rifle for most guys around this area. A buddy of mine let me shoot his and it was nice, I'm still waiting for the recoil. I put a sika down with it at about 150 yards and it only walked about 15 more yards. I also hunt in counties that don't allow rifles to be used. Would a shotgun, such as the 220F, A-Bolt or others, be more beneficial than buying a rifle? I don't forsee myself going out west to hunt and really don't see shooting more than 250 yards.

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
Today's shotguns and sabots are very accurate and capable to drop a deer out to 200 yards. I would say though that 250 yards is pushing it a bit for a shotgun. Shotguns have severe drop at that distance and also lose energy. Most of my shotgun hunting is in the woods with an average shot of 100 yards or less, therefore I shoot a Lightfield slug. Lightfield slugs are a hybrid sabot that is 66 Cal., 1 1/4 oz. with a muzzle energy of 2564 and velocity of 1454 fps. You can buy sabots that are 50 cal., 7/8 oz. and a 1900fps muzzle velocity with better ballistic coefficient for greater distances. You are giving up weight and size for speed...weight times speed equals force. As far as what to buy.........more and more counties are going to shotgun only. If you only have one gun, make it a shotgun as you can use them is a rifle county but not visa versa......Gary

PS All of this info is based on a 12 Ga. shotgun which is 70 cal.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Thanks for the tip. How would you rate that 220F against an H&R with a good scope?
The H&R are great shooting guns, but I believe their slug hunter models are single shot whereas the Savage is a bolt. But then again a good gun only needs one shot.

Do your own research and form your own opinions. (I mean that in a nice way) The wording in the reviews (plural) I have read state that Savage has basically made every 12 ga on the market obsolete. That is a pretty bold statement and it's a sentiment that has been repeated. As far as I am concerned this 20 GA is the best thing since sliced bread. Look at the drop of a 12 GA at 200 yards or more.

As Gary states, the 7MM is GREAT for distance, 300-400 yards and out. No need for it inside of 200. None.

One thing that really helps out the 20 GA is that the recoil is much less. Smaller projectile, less powder needed, but results in longer down range performance.

Spend 30 minutes on a generic "SAVAGE 220F Reviews" google search and you won't be disappointed. There's plenty out there

The gun is built on the Savage 110 action, generally considered one of the best actions ever built in terms of accuracy. People call this gun a rifle that shotts slugs, NOT A SLUG GUN. There's a difference.

Chris

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
The 20 ga. is becoming real popular. You don't need a 12 ga. to kill a deer. With the smaller and lighter sabot, you get much more distance and less drop. It has a MUCH better ballistic coefficient. The main thing in shooting any game is SHOT PLACEMENT. I have heard many good things about the savage 220 as far as accuracy and trigger and the only negative has been shell ejection.There are not many places around here to use a rifle any more........Gary

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well that 30 minute search turned into an hour! Looks like a lot of positives with the 220. I looked up the H&R deluxe as well. looks like the H&R is a little cheaper but just as accurate. It is also heavier and only single shot. Considering I have a rusty mossburg 500 with a slug barrel now, almost any gun will be an improvement. I think I will stick with a good slug gun instead of going with a rifle. Thanks for the info guys. Now I just gotta figure out which gun to go with, no matter what it will be a 20 gauge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check out a T/C Encore ,you can change barrels, I have muzzleloader,12 gauge, and a 7mm-08 and they are all nail drivers. You can get just about any cartridge you want up to 416. I have the prohunter model but the standard madel is the same basic gun just shorter barrels and the pro hunter barrels interchange.

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
I have an Encore 50 cal muzzle loaded and bought a 7mm Rem mag barrel. It shoots great but is so light that it will kick the shortening out of a biscuit with the 7mm. The disadvantages are that it is a single shot and you need to buy a scope for each barrel. You need to buy a fore stock when going from muzzle loader to rifle also. Very accurate..........Gary

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
guess I really need to stay up with current technology! moisture(rain) doesn't present any issues?
Rain does. You can't let your barrel fill with rain water. just use a finger cot or a piece of electrical tape over the barrel. The sabot pretty much seals the powder from just moisture in the air. I have hunted in all kinds of weather, snow rain and thick fog and NEVER had a problem. The only problem I ever had was lowering my muzzle loader from the stand into the snow on the ground. The snow went in the barrel and melted in my truck. The powder got wet and the gun did not fire. Thus the cot or tape over the barrel in those conditions. The old flint lock would not spark if the flint got wet.............Gary

1 - 20 of 28 Posts