Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:helpsmilie: has anyone tried to freeze crab meat after it has been steamed and picked? what where the results?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
always put a least 6-8 pounds in the freezer for the winter...aint nothing like a crab cake in january....i use a vacum sealer and never had a problem...if you dont have one just put the meat in a freezer bag inside another freezer bag..shouldnt have a problem:thumbup:

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have tried this a few times with freezer zip lock bags with disasterous results. Not sure why mine are so bad but it has come out inetible. I have frozen crab dip with moderate suscess

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
It keps well if vacuum sealed,,freeze in a container first then remove from freezer & vacuum seal & return to freezer

·
Registered
277 Posts
We don't have a vacuum sealer, bu achieve remarkably good results by putting the crabmeat in freezer bags then add milk to cover the crab. We used to soak fish in milk to get rid of the "fishy taste" and it does the same for crab meat. Without vacuum seal or some other method of keeping air off the crab meat, it tastes very fishy/acidic. We keep crab meat frozen all winter like this. It is important also to use FREEZER bags, not just garden variety ziplocks. To thaw it, place the crab meat in a strainer over the sink. when thawed, rinse gently.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
The only way to freeze crabmeat is with nitrogen.It rapid freezes at -50f.This freezes the meat so fast that the molecules don't have a chance to rupture & release water.You'll notice that frozen,already made Crab Cakes are sold in grocery stores.Crab Cakes taste better if already prepared before freezing instead of freezing the meat and then thawing to make crab cakes.Try it both ways.Meat, Crab Cakes or Imperial & decide for yourself.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ziplock sandwich containers. Fill with meat, push down on the center of the lid to squeeze out the air and freeze. I put away 15-20 containers every year with no problems. They stack up nicely too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Like said, if it seems smelly, you soak it in milk overnight, then squeeze out, it works great. No sense in throwing away perfectly good yummys.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use a vac sealer.
I usually freeze about 15-25lbs for the winter. That seeems like a lot but it's not.....I average about 5-6lbs of picked meat per bushel with females.

Get a Vac sealer and just seal your meat up in about 2lbs increments.
I mark mine.....where it came from and when I caught/cooked/sealed it.

Whatever you do.....spice the crabs you plan to pick just like the crabs you would eat.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I actually freeze bodies (crab bodies that is ;-))

I take off the legs, pull off the shell, take off the gills and the chunkier gut parts (hows that for a technical term?) and freeze them that way for making soup--I like to cook the bodies in there with a lot of the yummy slimy stuff still on the bodies--after a couple of hours, I pull them out and pick out whatever meat didn't fall out---

Oh man, now I am hungry...

Hans

·
Registered
282 Posts
The $99 Vac Sealer I bought from from Cablelas 3 years ago was some of the best money I spent. Crab cakes a soup to get me through the winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy ya'all,

First.........where do you git nitrogen to freeze crab meat?

Second.........when I steam crabs for pickin, I don't use any seasoning, I think this ruins the meat over time.

Next........after steaming I rip the shells off, bust them in 1/2 and shake the guts out and wash them, them pack them in a crisper bin and put them in the fridg and pick the next day.:thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts