Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'll recall the media fiasco surrounding the pond in Crofton where the reproducing population of snakeheads was found. DNR eventually nuked the pond with the intention of killing everything in it... plant or animal. I believe subsequent electric sampling confirmed their success in this.

Had an errand to run yesterday, and on a whim took the trusty senko walking the shore (I walked the entire perimeter in about an hour). I only had one senko, and no other tackle with me (had not intended to fish). Caught 11 bass, most of them very small (sub 10 inches) but healthy looking. One bass between 2-3 pounds. Also caught two ambitious sunfish (managed to get the 1/0 hook on the 5" senko in their mouths). Lots of turtles, a heron, an osprey who nailed a small bass in the middle of the lake after a several minute hover, and even a beaver with prominent den on the far bank, some mud piled up in one corner to raise the pond a few inches, and lots of bark damage on the surrounding trees. There are lots of laydowns in the pond, and my pattern revolved around them.

Bottom line - looks like the pond is well on it's way back to being a healthy little ecosystem. I did have one hit on my senko that was very un-bass-like... he hit like a freight train and ran me straight into some brush... overpowering my 6 lb test ultralight with ease (I couldn't begin to stop him). I did get my worm back but no fish. All other bites that morning were subtle taps sometimes with a slow movement off to the side.

The pond looks like it will have significant vegetation, both in the water and on the banks, in the summer. In the end, this is probably a good thing for keeping the pond from being overfished, as access will be difficult. Probably also good for keeping the pond from overheating, as I do not think it gets very deep at all.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I used to fish that pond growing up in Bowie. My elementary school friend caught that first snakehead that got all the publicity with DNR and all the photos etc. Not surprised the pond is back to life being that close to the Pax. Everytime it floods it brings in new fish. There are many other ponds between Jug bay and Laurel just like it. Good to hear about it.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As much as I like getting onto big water, I love the simplicity of shore fishing a small pond. I don't suppose you'd be willing to identify any of the "many others" you reference... especially on the Laurel side of the spectrum?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts