Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am throwing a stingray tournament June 18th and need help getting rid of the excess. We plan to eat some and donate some to a university for research, but I imagine we will have extra. If anyone wants or needs some bait, let me know, you can have all you want. Thanks,

Scott
804-638-3777

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Senseless killing.
They are Gods angels in the water!
Free to ravege the grasses for crabs and clams, get tangled in your fishing tackle, be a general nuisance.

I hope you kill a million of the CS's!

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you cut them up and salt them down for me i'll try them out when the small crabs come on this year and i'll even supply the salt. You know i'm just kiddin right?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have read that the reason the ray population is so high is that the shark was the only thing that eat them and we have lowered the shark population so much that they have no other predators!! Don't know just what I have read and it makes sense to me!

·
Registered
14,326 Posts
Fishing a live ray is good for shark fishing but dead cut up pieces are not the best bait for sharks. The only enemy of the rays and skate are sharks............Gary

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
1. Ray populations are sky high b/c of lack of natural predators...sharks...specifically bull sharks.
2. Cownosed rays..ie skates SUCK for bait...absolutely suck. The crabs won't touch them. As a kid I tried it all.....I've tried feeding them in a live box, tried cut up body/wings in traps...NOTHING. Don't waste your time.

Lastly, I aplaude your effort at conserving the resource and trying to use all that are shot.....maybe find someone needs a donation to there compost pile.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1. Ray populations are sky high b/c of lack of natural predators...sharks...specifically bull sharks.
2. Cownosed rays..ie skates SUCK for bait...absolutely suck. The crabs won't touch them. As a kid I tried it all.....I've tried feeding them in a live box, tried cut up body/wings in traps...NOTHING. Don't waste your time.

Lastly, I aplaude your effort at conserving the resource and trying to use all that are shot.....maybe find someone needs a donation to there compost pile.
Thanks, We love to shoot em, but I hate to waste anything, so thought I would try. If all goes well with the cookout and university, there won't be any waste.

Thank all

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
Cownose Rays have no real food value so there is not a commercial market for them.

One reason you see so many. As others said - the inshore shark population that used to keep ray population in check is way down.

Now the ray population increases about 10 to 15 % each year. They destroy seeded oyster bars and eat clams and crabs as well.

I know a few crabbers who tried cut ray on a trotline. Baits tied about 3 feet apart. The ray caught zero but next eel or neck bait caught. They experimented with ray baits about every 6-7 baits - along a 1,200 foot line for two trips.

Not even little crabs ate it. Shame because it is a tough and cheap bait.

Only use I heard of ( second hand ) - is for pig feed. Not sure if it is true though , guy might have been kidding me.

Best you can do is kill the rays and encourage shark fishermen to release sharks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts