Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried freezing live blue crabs for use during winter months? Tried buying frozen fiddlers and they were terrible.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I asked same question yesterday. was told it doesn't work.
Conversation did not continue on , as to why it doesn't. ( believe I had hook up)
looking forward to answers to your question.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Previously frozen crab tends to have more brittle shells and the meat is mushier and falls away. If you have peelers, they will freeze OK because the undershell will help keep things together.

·
Registered
337 Posts
freeze the dead ones and bring as backup/extra bait when you go toggin, also makes great catfish bait up in the creeks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if freezing crabs/fiddlers not very effective what is preferred bait for togging during winter?

·
Registered
224 Posts
We used to take chunks of crab and put them in cut up pieces of womens hose. Just cinch it up with a piece of fishing line and put them in the freezer. Then put em on a hook and it doesn't fall apart.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Cut the crabs in bait size pieces and salt heavily with kosher salt. HEAVILY being the key. It does not work as good as fresh but it does work. Salting it keeps the meat hard. If you just freeze the crab it doesn't work, gotta cut into bait sized pieces and salt.
I have done this with peelers for years. It's not as good as a fresh one but,does not wash away.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I sat between 2 boats at the 2nd Ils. spine a couple years ago with 6 on board. 5 in-exp. and 1 exp. togger for a walk-on charter. Watched the other boats using live Blues and not catching a whole lot. We caught 23 togs on nothing but frozen fiddlers. The KEY is the fids must be kept frozen of cold. If they hit the deck for five minutes and warm up their useless.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you think it would make a difference if you froze fiddlers ( or blue crab) in water vs. air-free seal?

·
Registered
210 Posts
they are not as good as live, but I have had luck with the cutting into small chunks, salting, and vacuum packing blue crab. also can catch on vacuum packed fiddlers and sandfleas in the winter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts