Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was fishing Sandy Point Thurs. and there was a Coast Guard hail for a sinking sailboat. I pulled up my lines and cruised around Sandy Point looking but none in sight. Call was cancelled later. When coming back a huge car carrier coming south from Baltimore was moving a lot faster than expected. It threw 3 huge waves up into the 20 ft area I was boating. I have a 27 ft boat and the first wave was as high as the top of my windshield. When I motored over the first into the trough the next wave was almost as high as my t top. Water poured over the decks and was scared the wave would throw me sideways even though I was applying pleny of throttle and cutting it at an angle. Third wave was big but not like the first two. I've been sailing and fishing the bay since the 80s and have not seen large ship wakes like this. Not sure if this was their pilot error or ships pick up speed later in the fall. I'm posting in case folks are not paying attention to the size of some of the wakes and I know I'll be wearing my life jacket in the future. I was happy I was not anchored when he rolled thru.The big suprise was the depth of the trough between the waves. In a smaller boat I'd be swimming.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Bay pilot and captain error . Pilots working overtime been lots of ships trying to get into port . Call them on it they will tell you to get a bigger boat and laugh it off

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bay pilot and captain error . Pilots working overtime been lots of ships trying to get into port . Call them on it they will tell you to get a bigger boat and laugh it off
Thanks for the quick reponses. If this wave came over my stern and I wasn't paying attn it would have been a disaster. The ship was white but I can't remember the name. If I wasn't so rattled by it I many have taken a picture but the boat rocked so hard my cell phone, glasses, and wallet were thrown out of my radio box (under the t top) and slid accross the deck to the stern. I feel bad for folks with piers at the mouth of the Magothy. I notice most keep their boats on lifts.

·
Registered
14,402 Posts
I followed the QE2 down the bay in the late 80's and she didn't throw a huge wake. It's the weight of the boat, displacement, times speed that determines wake height. It is all calculated. It's all fun for them until someone gets killed......... Gary

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Just thank the lord you weren’t anchored up. Think my temper I would have called the cost guard told them what had occurred and that I was in hot pursuit and not responsible for my actions when I get ahold of who was responsible. With no one around.👊👊👊👊👊

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Glad everything worked out safely. Side note regarding the coast guard. When there’s an emergency, they always just give the coordinates of the incident and nothing more. Coordinates are great, but I don’t have the means to decipher them for an exact location. It would help a lot if they gave general area where assistance is needed and not just coordinates.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad everything worked out safely. Side note regarding the coast guard. When there’s an emergency, they always just give the coordinates of the incident and nothing more. Coordinates are great, but I don’t have the means to decipher them for an exact location. It would help a lot if they gave general area where assistance is needed and not just coordinates.
When the channel 16 call went out it was for a 25 ft sailboat capsized in the vacinity of Sandy Point. Thats how I ended up cruising a shallow area. I usually try to respond to hails if nearby.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's pretty crazy!

I had a similar but not as violent incident about 5 years ago. I was out trolling the western edge of the channel a few miles up from the bridge with my buddy in my old 185 Scout on a rainy, small craft advisory day. There was basically no one on the water, so a big girl was steaming down the bay throwing about a 6' wake. Being in the trough and seeing that crest above our heads was a little unnerving, but she bobbed right over all of them with surprisingly little fuss. We definitely held on to the console railings tight though! I often wondered if being in a smaller craft actually made that set easier to handle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts