Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dudes & Dudettes ~ If you had one species that swims in Fresh/Brackish waters... what and where would it be targeted? I've pursued the Piscatorial grocery-list for well over 50 years now, and have been fortunate enough to have enjoyed a modest amount of success with a vast number of species. From Peachbottom to Point Lookout /Harper's Ferry to Ocean City, now Florida, the one Species I'd choose would easily be the Smallmouth!! The place of "exercise" would easily be DALE HOLLOW reservoir in Tennessee/Kentucky. This impoundment has THREE World Records over 10 lbs.!(Biggest being 11 lb. 15 ozs.~ 27" -7/'55) I can't even imagine a behemoth Smallie twice the size of my PB(Liberty Res./6-2('72) on a Crawdad). That would be my choice for Last Tango In PARADISE..."How 'bout cha' BANDIT??":unsure:
Replica mount-
Water Cap Fisherman Fin Fish

-I could easily rattle off a couple dozen, notable fishermen who helped facilitate/encourage my
PASSION, but will refrain due to their uncertain O2 "exchange "status":cry:. One guy, I WILL convey, lives in Federalsburg, I think?(dang, what's his name??:unsure:)

db

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
Snakeheads Shallow water in brackish water on top water . When caught on top water in shallow water 1-2 ft . I have had them jump a foot off the surface and then 6 ft. horizontal, 4 times in a row as fast a you can blink your eyes . It was 33in. 8# this year. My biggest Snakehead was 12 lb. 35in. Blackwater would be a good place to start to get warmed up to them. All you need is a kayak.However they all don't jump but do in shallow water ., more like Tarpon and on topwater, yuu donT land as many, they can throw the hook like a Tarpon too. In deeper, cold water with sub surface lures, they may not jump at all.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Capt. Nick- Although I haven't caught a Snakehead (moved to FL '03) I remember workin' some pads(Pocomoke) w/a 1/2 oz. GOLD Johnson Silver-minnow, when I was 1st introduced to the MUDFISH !! Probably 4 - 5 lbs. of NASTY that actually broke off my weed-guard! Then to the Chicahominy for more encounters, now they are RAMPANT here in the Sunshine State. I would guesstimate the two species to be similar in aggressiveness. My biggest here is 12#.
Getting back to my
DALE HOLLOW reference, Billy Westmoreland was my inspiration with many over 8 #'s. This Friday, Oct. 1st, marks the 19th anniversary of his passing, less than a week after spending the day Fishing and having a major heart-attack THAT evening! He never regained consciousness.🥺 He was only 65 years young and was accredited for saving BPS founder(Johnny Morris/partner) back in '74, when their boat capsized/sank during a tournament event.
db

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
They are very smillar to Bowfins that are native to the US. They are not plentifull in Md. but they are in NJ , Va.and De. I contacted Ed Allen's in Va. on the Chicohominy where I read they are plentifull and wanted to spend a few days fishing for them but never got a return message from them.The pictures of the Bowfins on their website are from years ago ,so maybe they are not plentfull there anymore. I've caght them in Fla & W Va and they are a powerfull fish. I catch smallies in the Susqy but never caught any large ones maybe 3.5 #. Andy has some pictures of some bigger ones he caught in the Susqy years ago that looked 4-5# . The biggest ones I've seen in Md.are caught in Pretty Boy reservoir with 7-10 # caught ocassionally . Pa. has a much beter fishery for them in the Susqy & Junuata rivers where 18-20 in. smallies are fairly common in spring and fall.. I have caught many in Pa . . Snakehads have been caught up to 16# in Blackwater and 20# in thr Potomac but they are rare.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Capt.Nick, I caught a few 6+ Like this. I fished the Susqy for about 15-20 years before we moved to Eastern Shore. Best move we ever made. That is Herb's Tackle Shop in North East Md in the back ground.
Fur clothing Coat Jacket Snapshot Fur
I bet there is a few more like that still in the Susky.

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
That looks like one of the pictures I remembered you posting but I thought you also had another taken holding 2 smallmouths in Owens in Perryville . 6.6 # was my biggest for the Gunpower and that was Nov. 72 on a weed wing ,by Johnnny O'neil from SC. The first buzz bait before they coined the phrase buzz bait. How old were you there in that picture? I used to fish the ponds on the ES. My favorite area was Sussex county De. They had the best ponds that I fished for big crappie. yellow perch, bass and pickerel.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
That looks like one of the pictures I remembered you posting but I thought you also had another taken holding 2 smallmouths in Owens in Perryville . 6.6 # was my biggest for the Gunpower and that was Nov. 72 on a weed wing ,by Johnnny O'neil from SC. The first buzz bait before they coined the phrase buzz bait. How old were you there in that picture? I used to fish the ponds on the ES. My favorite area was Sussex county De. They had the best ponds that I fished for big crappie. yellow perch, bass and pickerel.
I remember the weed wing well. Great beginning of the buzz bait. I have no idea how old I was in that picture. Probably Mid. 20's. Yea when all of us old timers/when we were young got the word about the Delaware Ponds, we all headed to Delaware. They were great. I fished them all winter. Nick, do you agree that it was more fun fishing when it was all new to us.

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
Yes . I still have one of the original weed wings from th early 70s . Bass Pro makes them but they are heavier than the originals and very hard to keep on top of the weeds . We used to use the German made Quick 331 5-1 ratio spinning reels to reel it fast nough to keep on top the surface . Most US spinning reels at the time were only 3.5-1 ratio and would wear you out trying to reel the weed wings fast enough .

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yessir Nick- We used to BUZZ 'em over the heavy GRASS MATS on the Gunpowder/Dundee, we added the Uncle Josh pork frog to add buoyancy, helping to "slow it down". We Nailed 'em up to 6 #'s! Pickerel loved 'em too! :cool: Silver, Gold and later Bronze were our favorite colors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts