Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm..... I gotta get out of this godforsaken office and get on the water somewhere. Friday is looking to be a jewel of a day! I had hoped to catch the bleeding edge of the shad run at Ancarrows but am not seeing even a hint of a bite. Also not seeing any reports about yellow perch down at Walker's Dam. Still a couple weeks early for Croaker too. Might have to settle for some big cats but was itching for something a little different. Anybody recommendations? Anybody been on the James the past day or so and can vouch for how it looks? Another post suggested it was still high and muddy Tuesday.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The James report yesterday was that the river was still muddy and had some debris upriver. No shad were reported caught. I know some people who have been hammering crappie at Walkers Dam.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It is clearing up pretty good but is still high and dirty. As soon as it clears up i think you will hear of shad getting caught. Dont think it will be by friday. Perch and crappie and being caught at walkers you could talk to Dayton abou that. Cats are biting pretty good so that would be a good day. You could go to Watkins and catch some flatheads if its not running to hard. .....I think walkers will be the best bet.....:boat: :bigfish: :clapping2:

·
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried Watkins for Flatheads several times and just can't seem to figure it out. I also don't have time to obtain a mess of bluegill for bait. I do want to crack open that area as it is closer to home and I want to catch some flatheads. I built a nice large bait tank but still have to figure out a way to filter out the regurg since I have to catch and keep the 'gills the day before any flathead trip. Anybody have a cool filter setup?

My fishing log shows I have a bad luck on early season trips for smaller fish like perch. I wouldn't mind hitting below Walker's if I thought I could catch a decent amount, but I'm not "dialed in" to that bite. My previous efforts at drifting minnows/worms have resulted in no perch for the frying pan, and I end up heading down river to catch some Chick cats. Those little perch have my number!

·
Registered
155 Posts
wasabi, try the chick. If you don't catch y perch (silver buddy or nightcrawler)below the dam go downriver and hit the bends in the big creeks or do what we were talking about last year and get some big stripers. The herring and shad are there jus not thick yet. Looks like this year will be like last and the herring will come and go with the cold fronts.. I have a report for u tonight!! Remember there are no big fish in the chick!! jus pan fish!! Go to dutch gap for the big ones..LOL:)

·
Registered
439 Posts
wasabi. When the summer comes around I will take you to watkins and show you how I do it. I have a blast. fish at night, and have 2 and 3 on sometimes. Let me know if you are interested. The average fish up there is prob 15 lbs. up to around 30. Madtom

·
Registered
9 Posts
wasabi
In regards to a filter, I bought one at pets mart that you put down in the tank under the water and it constantly filters the water thru a sponge filter that can easly cleaned. It works great for minnows and really keeps the live well water clean. Might work for you

good luck
three-js

·
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
madtom,

I'm interested. Enable your PM!

3J's - thanks. I'll go by a pet store soon.

·
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
slade - I probably should have gone to Anna. Would have been cheaper. Something broke off chunks of my lower unit on the James today. Not happy.

G

·
is this walkers dam place in virginia? i was thinkin about going to it cuz u guys r saying theres fish there but thats kinda far for me and right around here people are catching fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts