Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I really hate striper fishing it was an easy decision to try for tog.

Friday we headed N of the 4th (32ft) and set up and instantly started catching them (blue crab). They were biting so good you could hardly enguage your reel before the bite. We sat in the same spot and tore them a new one unitl 11:30 when the tide died. We had our limit of 24, with 4 fish that were 23". One of the guys who got a bigger one had never even caught a tog. The best thing about it was that we never saw another boat. The bit was on the outgoing.

Satruday the plan was the same, just a different crew. We set up on the exact same spot as the day before. Again, we tore them up and were able to get out limit (24) by 9:30. We had 2 fish that were 23". COuld not find any really big ones, but we sure went through a bunch of little ones trying. We did happend to see one other boat out there and he decided to set up near us and seemed to be doing pretty good. We decided to head out for some striper. We did fair, catching 4 up to 40" on green umbrella's and big spoons, but it was to crowded for me. We were right off the CH light.

Sunday, we again went with the same plan. We went to the same spot as Fri and Sat. We were only able to get 12 keepers. The tide was runnig a little wierd, south to north, instead of heading strait out and I think that hurt us. Headed out to the parking lot around 10 and were able to pick off a few more stripers 35-41" before I could not take it anymore. The boats would come in on you so close, you could not even troll. I had to GO.

I am glad that hunting season is over so I can get back into fishing. I had not been since last time we went togging in November. It was nice to avoid the crowds.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Justin - good to see you posting a report... how was the hunting? Good job on the togs bud, I certainly agree with you on the craziness of striper fishing.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Great report Justin. I'd been wondering where you'd gotten off to. I hope the hunting season treated you well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the report Justin. I wish I could say the same .
We had a really slow tog trip 2days in a row with 6 fish caught both days. We did weigh one in at 12 lbs 8oz. not caught by me but it was the biggest tog I have ever had caught on my boat.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
There he is, I was wondering where you had gotten off to and even got a little worried when you didn't return my phone call. Glad to see your back on the water again. Thanks for the report, we had a couple paper Togs yesterday too, after our arms were worn out from Striper fishing.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am still alive. I had a fair season, 1 8pt, 1 9pt, and a few does.

Rob, I have more trouble with my phones that you could ever imagine. I am on my 6th one. I was most liekely in between phones when you called.

I cant wait to get back on the water this weekend. I have my dually running like a scolded dog now, so I can tow to Hatteras if I want to.

Raplh, let me know if you are going this weekend. The togs are in our favorite spot (where you caught your bigger ones over the summer).

Nice boat AL B!!!

Darren, your striper report a few weeks ago made me lose sleep. Nice work!!!

I want to find a few big togs like Den's buddy this upcoming weekend. I am sure that I will start seeing everyone on the water again real soon. I'll be hitting thme every Friday-Sunday till next hunting season. I have been putting out at Cobb's to avoid the "rush".

·
Registered
782 Posts
HEY jUSTIN,
THOUGHT i SEEN YA OUT THERE ON THE WEEKEND.....i WASN'T SURE...SINCE i DIDN'T HEAR FROM YA FOR A WHILE...i WAS STRIPER FISHING...GOTTA GET ON THE TOGS AND SEA BASS NOW....i GOT THE WEEKENDS OFF NOW....LIKE THE NORMAL PEOPLE....NO SHIFT WORK FOR 6 MONTHS...CALL ME....Kip come over last night....and we were talking about getting something going for offshore as well....
I hunted to the end myself and plenty of big stories to tell......if you haven't talked to kip..
get up with me before the weekend....if its bad weather we can go to my dads and see about those rods you asked about witht ecork grips etc......I got to go get kips rod while I aM THERE....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Justin, good luck on the togs this weekend. I don't know if I will get out or not. My boat is in the shop and I think after last weekend I need to buy some more time by spending the weekend with the wife. The tournament really dug into my kitchen passes. Glad to hear your up and running again. How do you like your new truck? Sounds like you have it running good. We need to plan a Spring trip down to Hatteras. Mike and I could take his boat and buddy up with you.

Ralph

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's an 1982 C-30. Th motor was just rebuilt and I replaced all the steering components, the brakes, suspension, eltrical stuff, put duals and headers on it and learned alot about body work. I am working on the interior now. She aint pretty, but it tows great. I am getting my outrigger set up this weekend, so I will be ready to hit them up a few times this spring.

I'll give you a call Kendall.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Awesome work Justin...as always! Nice job on the hunting too. This was my worst year ever in the woods. I only got a coyote, and I whacked a squirrel in my back yard with my blowdart gun.:D

·
Registered
563 Posts
Justin, don't tell anyone any stories about me hunting with you. Remember that time before our chemistry exam? Everyone laughs at that. Sorry I missed you out there on Saturday. I put in at Cobbs too. I ran all the way up the shore for a while. You guys keep talking about the trips to Hatteras....don't forget, I've got 4 50's.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those were the days. Those darn squirells. Get with me any old weekend. I'll be going stedaily from here on out. I am going tomorrow for those pesky striper at CH. I figured there wont be to many others out there so it may be decent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts