Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday, two of my buddies and I were trolling around the mouth of the Choptank. We ended up snagging crab pots - one flipped my planer, another one around my transducer and another one grabbed about 5 of my 10 lines out. We tried to cut our way out, but my 19' could not handle our weight at the back, the stalled engine, the wind and waves - you get the picture. It was like the crab pots anchored us from behind and let the back of the boat fill.

Within 2 minutes we were in the water, and there we sat on the over turned boat for about 20 minutes - thank god for a charter boat out of Chesapeake Beach (card got wet and lost on the way back on our ride with the coast guard) that pulled us out. My boat ended up being right sided and towed back to us. Scarriest experience of my life.

With all that said, i've got some thoughts:

1. If I dont get back on the water sooner than later, I may not - this scared the **** out of me guys. I'm sick over my boat and feel it is too small. Any words of wisdom on the length and or a good boat to get for around $15,000?

2. If anyone has heard this story and knows of the charter boat, let me know who it was. We owe him.

3. Do you think its worth putting the boat up for sale - the engine has started over - should I keep it? Will the wiring be all screwed up?

4. We were thinking of getting tatoos to commemorate this - any thoughts?

5. If you EVER see anyone in distress - help them. There was at least 5 boats that went past us while we were pissing our pants, shivvering with purple lips and praying for our lives - I hope they just didnt see us but who knows.

Sorry if I was long winded, but this event is not something that happens on a daily basis for me. Thank GOD we're alive.:clapping2:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Glad you are all safe. I went in a cold pond about 5 years ago and my nephew had to help me out - my legs were tangled in fishing line. Gets your attention that's for sure. Did you guys have PFDs on? I didn't, but grabbed a boat cushion that probably also save me. Mind saying what kind of boat? Not that it matters much, I am more interested in if it was an outboard with a notched transom, I/O, etc.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
one flipped my planer, another one around my transducer and another one grabbed about 5 of my 10 lines out. We tried to cut our way out, but my 19' could not handle our weight at the back, the stalled engine, the wind and waves - you get the picture.
Within 2 minutes we were in the water, and there we sat on the over turned boat for about 20 minutes -
3. Do you think its worth putting the boat up for sale - the engine has started over - should I keep it?
Honestly - I think you should either SELL and take up GOLF or take some boating courses before venturing out again

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I get it. Couple of years ago the motor of my 16' jon boat snagged a pot float at the Sewer Pipe. Current was ripping. I couldn't go to the back of the boat to cut it lose because it would pull the stern under. Ended up sitting on the bow with my dog until somebody got close enough to flag down. I guess what I'm saying is, get the tattoo!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Everybody laughs at my phone it looks old doesn't have internet very hard to text with But it's waterproof and always in my pocket. If I get pitched out or end up in the water I know I can dial 911 A couple of years ago I flipped over a canoe in the middle of the river in March first thing I felt was my cell phone shorting out in my pocket. Lucky I made it to shore The next day I started looking for a phone that was waterproof.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CTB - It was a 93 sunbird Neptune - 140 outboard. The transom is notched and only about 6 - 8 inches above the waterline. Add 3 200lb guys at the back and its right there.

C-Hawk18 - Golf is not in the plans - I suck at put put enough said - if someone gets in a car accident, do they sell their car and walk? it was an accident - live and learn

Shawn - i've got a lot of respect for you man - read your posts a lot - Tattoo it is

·
Registered
199 Posts
Glad everyone is safe and sound. Things like what you just experienced happen very quickly . I know it sucks what happen to your boat but material things can be replaced but you and your buddies can not. Thank God for the charter boat ,it had be be getting cold . Hope you learn and adapt and get back in the saddle .Good Luck

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I suck at put put enough said - if someone gets in a car accident, do they sell their car and walk? it was an accident - live and learn
This is not the ROAD......go out unprepared next time and it could be your life! I know a lot of REC's on this board don't agree with my position a lot of times, but I do have 40+ years on the water. Believe me when I say it can be nothing like the road.

At least you do admit that you don't yet have the experience. WAAAAAY TOO many people push their luck on the water.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Cookiemonster....First of all, I am very glad that you are ok and able to tell your story!! We did not have a party on Fri. so 5 of us friends started out from Dogwood Harbor at 6am. We were in a 45ft, solid wood, workboat! The waves in Harris creek were 2-3 ft!!!! WE turned around and went back in! You had no business being out in a 19ft boat, in that slop, on Fri. Some times "discretion is the better part of valor".
Thank GOD you are all well and alive to ***** about it. I think C-Hawk's advice is best .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes and if C-Hawk would have stated it better he probably would have taken his advice and thought about what to do next. Instead it probably just ticked him off! Things like this are how people learn. Glad your okay!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Glad to hear you survived okay! Lots of bigger boats go down too, so I wouldn't bet on a bigger boat being the answer. Just goes to show you how quick accidents can happen. I thank you for making the post. I'd never give much thought to how snagging a crabpot could likely kill you. Get back on the horse and get out there fishing!

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Accidents happen. Glad you guys made it. Safe boating courses are good but this scenario is not covered in that course...........Gary

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
C-Hawk - Charlie S.

I hear both of you guys - but i am seriously horrible at put put golf.

On a serious note, I'm looking for advice.

I know that larger boats go down as well as smaller boats and the bay is not I-95. But what would you say a good size propper bay boat would be? I've talked to people about deep vees vs cats vs skiffs. I'm looking for some words of wisdom from those who work out there for a living - as well as anyone else. Is 19' foot too small for the bay period - or ok just on good days? what about 23'? 25'? I want to get back out there, but right now I dont feel safe in my boat and I admit to push the limits some time. I'm looking to get back out there with a better suited vessel as well as a wiser attitude and sense of awareness of what the bay is capable of.

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
A 19' boat is fine on the bay on a good day. A 23' boat is better but if you read reports here, they sink too. Most times it is operator error but other times a multitude of things occur to sink a boat. Having your boat in tip top condition, not over loading it, knowing how to operate it and respecting the weather and conditions will keep your boat floating. Thinking before acting also helps. I have seen where a boat takes a wave and the scuppers are clogged with a plastic trash bag. Every one sees water in the back of the boat and goes to see why. All that additional weight in back and it's over. It only takes one person to look for the problem. Things like this are not taught in boating courses.............Gary

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I think the answer is: There's times when a 30 footer shouldn't be out there. There are even more times when a 19'er shouldn't be out there. You need to be able to know when to say NO!!!!

There are days I can take my 15' tin boat out there, but Friday was a nasty day......

It also seems to me like a lot of these capsized/sunken boat issues are with boats with cutout transoms...........

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad to hear all are well. Unfortunately, c-hen is Mr. Hindsight. Could've been put a better way... However,it's amazing how many people don't see you when you need help, but, when you're pulling in fish, they're all over you! It is true this situation sounds like one not covered in the books, who would've thought? Well, c-hen knows all, right? LOL A twenty foot inboard with bow seats served my family well for a number years in and around OC, NJ. Back bay and a few trips out to the ocean.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am absolutely amazed at the amount of boating accidents that have occurred within our fishing community this Spring... Is is that more and more inexperienced people are taking to the water, or are people just fishing in questionable conditions?

I have been fishing the bay for over 30 years... I have a huge amount of respect for the water, have had the Sh*t scared out of me more than a few times...

Now that I am pushing middle age, the PFD is becoming more and more a standard part of my wardrobe...

My kids now have to take a "course" to operate a boat on the water... I think that everybody should...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts