Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well me and my son went frogging last night with the new gig built from 16 painters pole and a new 6 prong gig.pulled to the end of drive way gig first frog a large specimen with huge legs.We went 6 for 6 on the first 6.My son having always been the light guy was eager as i asked him if he wanted to switch and become gig guy.He went 0 for 6 and we laughed our buts off at his tecnique.with some coaching he got the hang of it and went 2 for 5 on his next 5 trys.He said he wanted me to gig the rest.we wound up with 25 nice sized frogs and was back in by 11:00.Two hours of gigging counting riding time between good spots , some good company , and some mighty fine eating to boot after a good day fishing.Damn i might be a ******* and my son is well on his way.There are worse things you could be i guess.

HARD TO GET A GOOD PIC AS IT WAS RAINING ITS A$$ OFF THIS MORNING AND THE FROGS WERE STILL SEEKING THEIR FREEDOM.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking to early to we were pulling out the driveway friday morning with the boat in tow.My phone rang so i stopped at the end of the driveway to answer it and I looked out the window and there was the mac daddy of all bull frogs.So we started looking on our way to the river and we saw em everywhere.So I asked my best friend who is also my son if he wanted to go so we decided to give it a go.the early bird gets the frog to I guess.[excited][excited][excited]

·
Registered
207 Posts
"so I asked my best friend, who is also my son"!!!!!!!!!! now, you are one that knows what it's all about!!!!!!!!!! and JR!!!!! that gig is easy, just tell Dad to let you use it a little more!![excited] NICE JOB, to the both of ya'!!!!!!!!!!!!!![smile]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reading the board from Richmond. They are now just starting to croak good. I see lots of them even have a gig I bought for 5 bucks a yard sale. I can figure out how to gig them, BUT

How the heck do I clean one, and skin it. Only after the legs so I figure a cleaver or machete, but what do I do from there if I have any fingers left. HA..... Also white light or red or blue? and best times at night?

Thanks, and yes sounds like a great time.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Here's my way.... Leave frog on gig, grab frogs legs, cut legs from frogs at the waist. Step on frogs head and gerk gig out of frog. When I get home, wash legs and then use fish skinning pliers to pull skin from legs. Seperate legs. Regular pliers will not work very well.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Here's my way.... Leave frog on gig, grab frogs legs, cut legs from frogs at the waist. Step on frogs head and gerk gig out of frog. When I get home, wash legs and then use fish skinning pliers to pull skin from legs. Seperate legs. Regular pliers will not work very well. Regular spotlight if you are in a truck and a good flashlight if you are walking. I go about one hour or so after sundown.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah what he said but i had a good friend i promised some to and i dont clean any free stuff its aginst my religion unless you are over 60 and a female.white light is best.most the time early in the year all you see is their chin.when the air is warmer then the ditch look on the banks of the ditch.when the air is coldr then the water there chin or their eyes is all you will see.I use a cig lighter plug and a million candle power light makes em easy to see.got a 100,000 candle power chargeable for them not so easy ditches to get to.And my son is the best son you could have and i try to let him know how much i appreciate it every day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.