Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This admin is worse than the crew of the Titanic

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Lawmakers from both parties expressed concern Sunday that President Bush reportedly will nominate a longtime military officer to head the CIA.

According to senior administration officials, Bush will announce Monday that he has chosen Air Force Gen. Michael Hayden as the next director of the civilian spy agency.

If confirmed, he would replace Porter Goss, who abruptly resigned the CIA post Friday after losing what intelligence sources described as a power struggle with National Intelligence Director John Negroponte.

"Bottom line: I do believe he's the wrong person, the wrong place at the wrong time," Rep. Pete Hoekstra, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, told "Fox News Sunday."
 

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
Joined
·
14,062 Posts
Having a military guy head the CIA is common historically:

Director Tenure
Rear Adm. Sidney Souers, USNR January 23, 1946 - June 10, 1946
Lt. Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg, USA June 10, 1946 - May 1, 1947
Rear Adm. Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter, USN May 1, 1947 - October 7, 1950
Gen. Walter Bedell Smith, USA October 7, 1950 - February 9, 1953
Allen W. Dulles February 26, 1953 - November 29, 1961
John McCone November 29, 1961 - April 28, 1965
Vice Adm. William Raborn, USN (Ret.) April 28, 1965 - June 30, 1966
Richard M. Helms June 30, 1966 - February 2, 1973
James R. Schlesinger February 2, 1973 - July 2, 1973
William E. Colby September 4, 1973 - January 30, 1976
George H. W. Bush January 30, 1976 - January 20, 1977
Adm. Stansfield Turner, USN (Ret.) March 9, 1977 - January 20, 1981
William J. Casey January 28, 1981 - January 29, 1987
William H. Webster May 26, 1987 - August 31, 1991
Robert M. Gates November 6, 1991 - January 20, 1993
R. James Woolsey February 5, 1993 - January 10, 1995
John M. Deutch May 10, 1995 - December 15, 1996
George J. Tenet July 11, 1997 - July 11, 2004 (resigned June 3, 2004)
John E. McLaughlin (acting director) July 11, 2004 - September 24, 2004
Porter J. Goss September 24, 2004 - May 5, 2006
 

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
Joined
·
14,062 Posts
[Q]Forestry originally wrote:
Not active and certainly not an active who's under Rummys thumb.
[/Q]

As arrogant as you are wrong - look at the first 4 in particular.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,163 Posts
[Q]Fritzer originally wrote:
[Q]Forestry originally wrote:
Not active and certainly not an active who's under Rummys thumb.
[/Q]

As arrogant as you are wrong - look at the first 4 in particular.
[/Q]Given the fact that there appears to be a power struggle between DoD and the CIA, and the fact that from appearances it would seem the the CIA was marganilized in the run up to Iraq with the likes of the Office of Special Plans calling the shots out of the Pentagon...And finally given the fact that the Iraq conflict isn't exactly topping the charts on the hit parade right now...

Forest probably has a valid point...To appear to co-opt the CIA to an even greater degree would be, for lack of a better term, politically stupid...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,432 Posts
[Q]Chumbucket originally wrote:
...To appear to co-opt the CIA to an even greater degree would be, for lack of a better term, politically stupid...
[/Q]Just toss it in the stack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,428 Posts
[Q]Chumbucket originally wrote:

Forest probably has a valid point...To appear to co-opt the CIA to an even greater degree would be, for lack of a better term, politically stupid...
[/Q]

They have never gotten that perception as reality thing.

Bert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
Altho I understand the reasons for having misgivings about Bush's selection, my first thought on this matter is that if the same choice had been made a few years ago when Bush's popularity was high, there would have been nominal Democratic opposition and the Republicans would have lined up in support immediately. I wonder if Bush's low poll numbers have made him such a pariah that Republicans and Democrats alike want to take positions contrary to his. They may figure that politically it's better to distance themselves as much as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The funny thing about this thread is I was refering to the Admins blindness to the real world and the disconect with their own party as much as the choice itself.

Which is then followed with Fritz the Blind flying in to defend the Admin and their lost path
 

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
Joined
·
14,062 Posts
Now showing that your facts are dead wrong is considered "blindly supporting the administration".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,428 Posts
[Q]djones originally wrote:
Altho I understand the reasons for having misgivings about Bush's selection, my first thought on this matter is that if the same choice had been made a few years ago when Bush's popularity was high, there would have been nominal Democratic opposition and the Republicans would have lined up in support immediately. I wonder if Bush's low poll numbers have made him such a pariah that Republicans and Democrats alike want to take positions contrary to his. They may figure that politically it's better to distance themselves as much as possible.
[/Q]

You are probably right.

Bert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[Q]Fritzer originally wrote:
Now showing that your facts are dead wrong is considered "blindly supporting the administration".
[/Q]

Most of them say retired, and those that dont were a half century ago.

But now that he's been nominated it will be fun to watch W lose to his own party again
 

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
Joined
·
14,062 Posts
[Q]Forestry originally wrote:
[Q]Fritzer originally wrote:
Now showing that your facts are dead wrong is considered "blindly supporting the administration".
[/Q]

Most of them say retired, and those that dont were a half century ago.

But now that he's been nominated it will be fun to watch W lose to his own party again
[/Q]

[q]Rear Adm. Sidney Souers, USNR January 23, 1946 - June 10, 1946
Lt. Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg, USA June 10, 1946 - May 1, 1947
Rear Adm. Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter, USN May 1, 1947 - October 7, 1950
Gen. Walter Bedell Smith, USA October 7, 1950 - February 9, 1953
Vice Adm. William Raborn, USN (Ret.) April 28, 1965 - June 30, 1966
Adm. Stansfield Turner, USN (Ret.) March 9, 1977 - January 20, 1981
[/q]

Let's see; I make that 4 unretired and 2 retired - making 2 the majority (the way you prefer count votes).

So let's say he resigns his commission before becoming DCIA; would that make the moonbats happier?
 

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
Joined
·
14,062 Posts
And McCain goes off the moonbat reservation again:

[q]But Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., a former Navy pilot, said other military members have been head of the CIA, a position that he called "the toughest job in Washington."

"This is a very important and key post and I hope [lawmakers] will recognize that Gen. Hayden is a very qualified individual and he is the president's selection," McCain said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

"Gen. Hayden is more of an intelligence person than he is an Air Force officer."

[/q]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,184 Posts
F-Yeah the POTUS is really losing on the intelligence thing. However, the fact remains US mainland not attacked after you and the libs predicted all out war on US soil post 9/11. Then he tries to subvert Al Qaeda phone calls and you complain, go figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,432 Posts
[Q]Capt Frank originally wrote:
the libs predicted all out war on US soil post 9/11.
[/Q]Please provide your source (other than your very sick head).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[q]However, the fact remains US mainland not attacked after you and the libs predicted all out war on US soil post 9/11. [/q]

Umm, Frank? You are the one whos been screaming they are coming to get us for the past 4 and a half years...

[q] So let's say he resigns his commission before becoming DCIA; would that make the moonbats happier?[/q]

And Fritz its the Pubs who raised this cry in the first place or is anyone who disagrees with your Lord and Savior GWB a moonbat?
 

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
Joined
·
14,062 Posts
[q]Fritz its the Pubs who raised this cry in the first place [/q]

Since when do you believe this makes them right?
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top