Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my boat on a lift and plan to keep it there for the winter. I have winterized everything I could think of and pulled the boat plug so it can drain. Has anyone ever had water freeze and clog up the hole? I was thinking if that happened and a big rain came the boat could flood and the bilge pump wouldn't work either. I put some Marine antifreeze in the bilge pump so that shouldn't freeze.

2. "Stabiled" the **** out of the remaining gas in the boat.

3. ran antifreeze through the raw water pump.

4. Outboard engine so no freezing issues there.

Anything else I should do? I may use the boat a bit more this winter if we get a warm day, mostly to mix the gas up a bit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This past sunday I had to chip the ice out of my drain so I could get the plug in. Most of the water in the bilge was frozen as well and my pumps kept popping the breakers until the ice melted enough for them to run. It's time to put some antifreeze in everything.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This past sunday I had to chip the ice out of my drain so I could get the plug in. Most of the water in the bilge was frozen as well and my pumps kept popping the breakers until the ice melted enough for them to run. It's time to put some antifreeze in everything.
Could you elaborate on everything? Do you poor a little antifreeze in the bilge? How about fish boxes that don't drain completely?

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
If you put anti freeze in the bilge but leave the plug out- rain will soon wash the anti freeze out.Your best defense is a tight fitting tarp or cover that will shed rain/snow and prevent it from getting into the bilge.

I've heard horror stories of boats stored uncovered.Leaves get in and clog up the scuppers - rain/snow fills the cockpit -then ice forms and the boat is damaged.

The blue poly tarps often hold up for the winter.Be sure to pad any sharp edges like T-Tops/windshields with scrap carpet.A few 2x4's tied so they can not fall can form a frame that allows for a sharp pitch.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Ventilate

If you put anti freeze in the bilge but leave the plug out- rain will soon wash the anti freeze out.Your best defense is a tight fitting tarp or cover that will shed rain/snow and prevent it from getting into the bilge.

I've heard horror stories of boats stored uncovered.Leaves get in and clog up the scuppers - rain/snow fills the cockpit -then ice forms and the boat is damaged.

The blue poly tarps often hold up for the winter.Be sure to pad any sharp edges like T-Tops/windshields with scrap carpet.A few 2x4's tied so they can not fall can form a frame that allows for a sharp pitch.
Sailfish is right on OK. I kept mine covered and wound up with a bunch of mold and mildew. I suggest the tarp be spaced off the boat in several places to provide a bunch of ventilation. I guess the sun warmed things up enough to allow the growth, but it was a PIA to scrub off of everything.
budc
OH Yeah, don't forget your washdown pump.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That is what I was thinking with the antifreeze in the bilge. I don't have to worry about leaves where my boat is. The lift is out in the middle of a small cove off a long pier. There have been other boats left uncovered in the same cove so I think I will be OK so long as the water doesn't freeze and clog things up.

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate all the info. I think I will forgo the tarp this year and take my chances. I will check on it regularly. Maybe if I have to I can pour some boiling/hot water down the scuppers/bilge to melt any ice that may have formed.

When does the spring come around again?:boat::boat:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts