Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed down to Ft Story with just some stinky squid left over from the wkend to catch bait with. IF I had brought some other baits I probably would have actually caught bait faster but thats always the way it works out. See some glass minnows breaking throw the cast net for a while and there is nothing under them. Finally hook a small roundhead and throw him back out on the second rod. Bait rod goes off again and the stinky squid pulled in a small black tip. From that point on it was sharks sharks sharks. Smallest were 8" and the biggest was about 36". No one else fishing the beach but there were a ton of boats out working the pods of birds past the edge of the sandbars.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thanks for the report. I always have a supply of BWFB with me to catch the smaller fish.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Guess it's time for me to get my pass or tag along with someone else and give Ft. Story a try!

Thanks for the report![grin]

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I am going to give it a try tonight. THis time I am bringing some metal to huck out there. Lots of birds working the surface so I think there are some blues and spanish to be had with the right lures. Lots of boats working the area so I am guessing spanish. I'll be down there with the dog and maybe the wife.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I may give it a try also sometime this week later in the day/early evening. Keep an eye out for the thunderstorms the next 2 days.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Headed back to story today with the wife and dog in tow. tried over by the harbor master for a while. Had a couple of left over eels from yesterdays trip in the boat so I threw one out on a bottom rig. Either a big blue or a biter took the back half of him and they kept on grabbing it but never hooked into anything. Used some clams on a scotsman rig for a while and pulled in some spot and a couple of trout. Not the best day I've had in a while but better than nothing. Water was pretty dirty and that usually keeps the fishing slow.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I fished Fort Story from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm with my wife and 2 kids in tow. Not much to report for me, but a handful of roundhead that my son caught. Actually, one of the roundhead that we caught had a bite taken out of him. Whatever it was it took the dorsal fin clean off. We enjoyed the show that the Dolphins put on. Water sure was dirty.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks for the update fellas!

Wish the fishing would have turned out better for ya!

·
Registered
426 Posts
[Q]Dixie originally wrote:
Guess it's time for me to get my pass or tag along with someone else and give Ft. Story a try!

Thanks for the report![grin]
[/Q]

my new job will get me on teh military bases[grin][grin][grin]

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Made another trip to the fort this evening. Low tide. Halfway clean water. All you could want for round heads and spot. No takers when i threw a couple out on the heavy rods. Wife got bored after an hour or so and we left. Was hoping for another biter or some blues but no dice. haven't seen any bait to get with the net yet. Couple of half a$$ throws got me a couple of spot.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Any size to them tasty roundheads???

Frying Pan's want to know![grin]

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually there was some pretty good size to some of them. I caught a couple that were in the 14-16" range. I never thought about eating them before. They look too much like a dace for me

·
Registered
593 Posts
I used to think the same till I finally ate one!!!!

T A S T Y!!!!! I mean T A S T Y!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts